Events that occurred on 11 October.
- 1913 - Actor John Bryning is born.
- 1918 - J.R.R. Tolkien is officially released from Brooklands Officers' Hospital, Kingston-upon-Hull.
- 1945 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 103.
- 1966 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to Clyde S. Kilby.
- 1979 - The Jackanory episode "The Clouds Burst" is aired on the BBC.
- 1996 - Tyalië Tyelelliéva issue 9 is published.
- 1999 - Principal photography for The Lord of the Rings (film series) begins.
- 2010 - Chilean Tolkien Society's Mereth Oronnad.
- F.A. 495:
- T.A. 3018:
- With Frodo severely wounded, Strider and the four hobbits travel slowly towards Rivendell.
- Glorfindel drives three Riders off the Last Bridge of Mitheithel and pursues them westward. He meets two others who flee southward. He leaves a beryl on the Bridge. He starts looking for the travellers.
- Gandalf hurries towards Rivendell after the Black Riders attacked him on Weathertop.
- Boromir travels towards Rivendell to ask for counsel.