- 14 - In his Preface to Roman Britain and the English Settlements, R.G. Collingwood on this date writes about J.R.R. Tolkien's contribution to the book.
- 4 - German translator Hans J. Schütz is born.
- 27 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to Professor A. Pompen.
- 3 - J.R.R. Tolkien finishes retyping The Hobbit.
- 10 - Stanley Unwin reads the typescript of The Hobbit.
- 17 - David Buck, who would voice Gimli in The Lord of the Rings (1978 film), is born.
- 30 - Rayner Unwin, aged 10, writes a "Report on the Hobbit".
- 25 - J.R.R. Tolkien delivers the lecture "Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics" to the British Academy.
- ? - J.R.R. Tolkien delivers the lecture "Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics" before the British Academy.
- ? - Allen and Unwin read the manuscript of The Hobbit and suggest that he complete it.
- ? - Songs for the Philologists is published.
- ? - Illustrator Peter Chuklev is born.
- ? - J.R.R. Tolkien's secretary Joy Hill is born.
1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939