Revision as of 15:34, 5 October 2010 by Mith
Events which occurred on 3 October.
- 1896 - William Morris, artist and author who influenced J.R.R. Tolkien, dies.
- 1911 - Michael Hordern, who would voice Gandalf in The Lord of the Rings 1981 radio series and J.R.R. Tolkien in the radio series of Tales from the Perilous Realm, is born.
- 1937 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes letter 16.
- 1979 - The Jackanory episode "Riddles in the Dark" is aired on the BBC.
- 1998 - Roddy McDowall, who voiced Samwise Gamgee in Rankin/Bass' The Return of the King, dies.
- 2009 - Author Gisbert Kranz dies.
- T.A. 3018:
- Gandalf arrives at Weathertop and marks a stone. At night he is attacked there by the Black Riders. He manages to escape with four Riders behind him.
- Together with Strider the four hobbits travel towards Weathertop. They see flashes from the fight at Weathertop while they leave the Midgewater Marshes.
- Boromir travels towards Rivendell to ask for counsel.