A Tolkien Compass
|A Tolkien Compass|
A Tolkien Compass is an collection of articles on J.R.R. Tolkien's writings. It was edited by Jared Lobdell. The first edition was published in 1975, and a second and third edition followed in 1980 and 2002. The first edition also contained Tolkien's Guide to the Names in The Lord of the Rings, but this has been omitted from later imprints and edition due to complaints from the Tolkien Estate, who are the legal owners of the text.
- Tom Shippey: "Foreword" (third edition only)
- Jared Lobdell: "Introduction"
- Bonniejean Christensen: "Gollum's Character Transformation in The Hobbit"
- Dorothy Matthews: "The Psychological Journey of Bilbo Baggins"
- Walter Scheps: "The Fairy-tale Morality of The Lord of the Rings"
- Agnes Perkins and Helen Hill: "The Corruption of Power"
- Deborah C. Rogers: "Everyclod and Everyhero: The Image of Man in Tolkien"
- Richard C. West: "The Interlace Structure of The Lord of the Rings"
- David M. Miller: "Narrative Pattern in The Fellowship of the Ring"
- Robert Plank: "'The Scouring of the Shire': Tolkien's View on Fascism"
- Charles A. Huttar: "Hell and The City: Tolkien and the Traditions of Western Literature"
- U. Milo Kaufmann: "Aspects of the Paradisical in Tolkien's Work"
- J.R.R. Tolkien: "Guide to the Names in The Lord of the Rings" (first edition only)
- Jared Lobdell: "Postscript"