|Alan Joseph Bliss|
|Education||University of Oxford|
Alan Joseph Bliss (1921-1985) was a former student of J.R.R. Tolkien.
Bliss studied under Tolkien from 1946 to 1948. In 1966, while he was working on a piece on Finn and Hengest, Tolkien lent him his old lecture notes from the 1920's. The notes were still in disarray when Tolkien died, and in 1979, Christopher Tolkien handed them over to Bliss for publication.
- 1954: Sir Orfeo
- 1960: The Seafarer (general editor with Arthur Brown)
- 1982: Finn and Hengest (editor)
- 1962: Festschrift English and Medieval Studies Presented to J.R.R. Tolkien on the Occasion of His Seventieth Birthday
- "The Appreciation of Old English Metre"
- 1979: J.R.R. Tolkien, Scholar and Storyteller: Essays in Memoriam
- "Beowulf Lines 3074-3075"