m (Bot message: re-linked.)
m (Bot comment: changed category.)
|Line 59:||Line 59:|
[[Category:People by name]]
[[Category:People by name]]
[[Category:The Lord of the Rings
[[Category:The Lord of the Rings cast]]
Revision as of 09:58, 11 December 2012
|File:Andy Serkis as Gollum (in motion capture suit).jpg|
|Lifetime||April 20, 1964|
|Portrayed||Gollum, Witch-king of Angmar (voice) in:|
|The Lord of the Rings (film series)|
When he heard from his agent that John Hubbard wanted to hear him as the voice of an animated character, Serkis originally felt dismayed. When told it was Gollum, it changed little: he had read The Hobbit when he was eight, but nothing else. Not until his (later) wife Lorraine convinced him to go to the audition did he actually think of doing it.
He recorded a demo, in which he portrayed Gollum full of self-pity and guilt, and he based the gulping swallow sound "gollum" on his cat Diz coughing up a furball.
At the advice of Fran Walsh, he kept a diary, and this diary was later edited to become Gollum: How We Made Movie Magic. It details his casting, the shooting, the additional motion capture, and the voice dubbing pick-ups.
Serkis spent a total of five years in New Zealand, and did extra work later in London. He dubbed most of his lines as Gollum there, and also provided an eerie voice for the Witch-king of Angmar. Together with Jim Dunk, he also voiced most of the Uruk-hai in Uglúk's troop.
- "They're only scorned because they're into something popular. But it's just the same as supporting a football team or being madly into Picasso or Brahms. And it's certainly a lot more fun than chess."
- ― Andy Serkis on Tolkien fandom, Interview
- "This must be totally bizarre to them. I mean, at least when I look up at them I see Frodo and Sam, and I just play off them, but when they look at me, all they must see is a man in a gimp suit, with a face that makes Jim Carrey's look relaxed and a voice that sounds like a cat being sick."
- ― Andy Serkis on filming with Elijah Wood and Sean Astin, Gollum: How We Made Movie Magic.
- 2012-13 - The Hobbit (film series) - Gollum
- 2006 - EA's The Battle for Middle-earth II: The Rise of the Witch-king - Gollum, Witch-king
- 2005 - Ringers: Lord of the Fans - Himself
- 2004 - Gollum's acceptance speech - Himself, Gollum
- 2004 - EA's The Third Age - Gollum (archive footage)
- 2004 - DNZ: The Real Middle Earth - Himself, Gollem (sic)
- 2003 - EA's The Return of the King - Gollum, Witch-king (archive footage)
- 2003 - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Sméagol, Gollum, Witch-king
- 2002 - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Gollum, Orcs, Snaga (voice)
- 2002 - The Making of The Lord of the Rings - Himself
- 2001 - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Gollum, Witch-king, Black Riders (voice)
- 2002 - PFCS Award, Best Acting Ensemble, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
- 2003 - OFCS Award, Best Ensemble, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
- 2003 - PFCS Award, Best Acting Ensemble, Peter Jackson's The Two Towers
- 2003 - VES Award, Best Performance by an Actor in an Effects Film, Peter Jackson's The Two Towers
- 2003 - Saturn Award, Best Supporting Actor, Peter Jackson's The Two Towers
- 2003 - MTV Movie Award, Best On-Screen Team, Peter Jackson's The Two Towers
- 2004 - Critics' Choice Award, Best Acting Ensemble, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
- 2004 - NBR Award, Best Acting by an Ensemble, Peter Jackson's The Return of the King
- 2004 - Empire Award, UK, Best British Actor, Peter Jackson's The Return of the King
- 2004 - SAG Award, Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture, Peter Jackson's The Return of the King