Appendix A of The Lord of the Rings contains historical background of the events in Middle-earth prior to the War of the Ring. Its main focus is on the Mannish kingdoms of Númenor, Gondor and Rohan, and on the Dwarves of the line of Durin. It also contains the story of Aragorn and Arwen.
The contents of Appendix A are as follows.
- The Númenórean Kings
- Númenor (A synopsis of the events of The Silmarillion, especially the Akallabêth)
- The Realms in Exile (A list of the kings of Arnor and Gondor, including the Chieftain of the Dúnedain and the Ruling Stewards of Gondor.)
- The Northern Line: Heirs of Isildur
- The Southern Line: Heirs of Anarion
- Eriador, Arnor, and the Heirs of Isildur (The history of the Northern Kingdom, through the time of Aragorn II)
- Gondor and the Heirs of Anarion (The history of Gondor, including a few details of the lives of Denethor II, Boromir, and Faramir.)
- The Stewards
- The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen (Traces the love story of that couple, including their deaths.)
- The House of Eorl (The history of Rohan.)
- The Kings of the Mark
- Durin's Folk (Focuses on the Dwarves of that line. Some of the events leading up to the Quest of Erebor are given. This section contains a family tree of Durin, including some details about Gimli.)
|The Lord of the Rings Appendices|
|Appendix A · Appendix B · Appendix C · Appendix D · Appendix E · Appendix F|