Appendix B is the second Appendix to The Lord of the Rings. It is entitled The Tale of Years (Chronology of the Westlands). It primarily contains timelines (lists of years) from the Second, Third, and Fourth Ages and the events of those years. There are also a few brief narrative sections, including a short discussion of the wizards and how Gandalf received the Ring of Fire from Círdan.
Appendix B is divided into several sub-sections:
- The Second Age
- It covers the major events of the little-documented Second Age, concerning Númenor and the Rings of Power.
- The Third Age
- It covers the years 2 - 3017 of the Third Age, focusing mainly on events in Arnor, Gondor, and The Shire.
- The Great Years
- It covers specific dates for particular events of the time period of the Lord of the Rings (the years 3018 and 3019); it begins with Gandalf's return to Hobbiton and concludes with the destruction of the Ring. This section also gives a brief account of the battles of the Northern campaign during the War of the Ring that are not mentioned in the main book.
- The Chief Days from the Fall of Barad-dur to the End of the Third Age
- It finishes the events of The Lord of the Rings, giving specific dates up through Sam's return to Bag End.
- Later Events Concerning the Members of the Fellowship of the Ring
- Chronology of the early Fourth Age (although dates are given in the Shire Reckoning), and primarily follows what happened with the hobbits. The last entry tells the final fate of Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli.
|The Lord of the Rings Appendices|
|Appendix A · Appendix B · Appendix C · Appendix D · Appendix E · Appendix F|