This article or section needs to be cleaned up to conform to a higher standard of article quality.
This article or section needs more/new/more-detailed sources to conform to a higher standard and to provide proof for claims made.
|Location||Northern end of Nen Hithoel, both sides of Anduin|
|Description||The gigantic figures of Isildur and Anárion|
|Etymology||S. ar "royal" + gond "stone" + -ath "both"|
|References||The Great River|
The Argonath also known as The Gates of Argonath or The Pillars of the Kings, was a landmark on the Northern edge of Gondor.
Originally constructed about Third Age 1340 at the order of Rómendacil II to mark the northern border of Gondor, the Argonath consisted of two enormous pillars, carved in the likenesses of Isildur and Anárion. Each of the two figures was shown with an axe in its right hand and its left hand raised in a gesture of defiance to the enemies of Gondor, standing upon either side of the River Anduin at the northern approach to Nen Hithoel,
Portrayal in adaptations
- The Argonath comprises two large and highly detailed models which were combined with live action footage and digital backgrounds to convey the proper sense of scale. Also seen in the movie is the quarry near one of the statues' feet, which the filmmakers reasoned would be necessary to provide stone blocks for the construction of the statues' uppermost sections.
- Note that in the film, the statues are of Isildur and Elendil (as all references to Anárion were cut from the films) and the statue of Elendil is holding Narsil rather than an axe.