|Type||Row of hobbit-holes|
|Other names||New Row|
|Events||Saruman's Ruffian occupation|
|References||The Lord of the Rings|
Bagshot Row was the row of hobbit-holes that were delved into Hobbiton Hill beneath Bag End. The Gamgee Family lived at Number 3, Bagshot Row. Their neighbour was Daddy Twofoot, but it is not known whether he lived at Number 2 or Number 4.
It was so named because the earth removed in excavating Bag End was shot over the edge of the sudden fall in the hillside onto the ground. It was this part which later became the gardens and earthwalls of the other dwellings.
Portrayal in Adaptations
- Bagshot Row is much longer than described in the book; numbers run up to ten.
- 1 Bagshot Row: Bag End
- 2 Bagshot Row: Daddy Twofoot
- 3 Bagshot Row: The Gamgees
- 4 Bagshot Row: Milo Burrows
- 5 Bagshot Row: The Proudfeet
- 6 Bagshot Row: Halfast Hornblower
- 8 Bagshot Row: Hugo Bracegirdle
- 10 Bagshot Row: Fredregar (sic) Bolger
- Numbers 7 and 9, inhabited by Folco Boffin and Robin Smallburrow, are inexplicably located on the "Water Road" and the "Hill Road".
- In an unexplained deviation from the book, Sam and Rosie still live at Number 3. Prior to that, Rosie had been living at Number 10[source?]