Battles of Beleriand
Revision as of 14:56, 4 July 2008 by Theoden1
|Previous war: War for Sake of the Elves|
|Next war: War of the Elves and Sauron|
|Wars of Beleriand|
|Beginning: F.A. 1||End: F.A. 587|
|Place: East and West Beleriand|
|Outcome: Decisive victory for the Valar, Expulsion of Morgoth from Arda|
|Major battles: First Battle of Beleriand, Dagor-nuin-Giliath, Battle of the Lammoth, Dagor Aglareb, Dagor Bragollach, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, War of Wrath|
|Noldor, Sindar, Dwarves, Valar, Maiar, Edain||Morgoth's forces of Angband|
|35px Oromë 55px Earendil||35pxMorgoth|
These battles are often referred to as the Battles of Beleriand, but also as the War of the Jewels as the Silmarilli were behind them all.
- The First Battle of Beleriand was fought before the Ñoldor arrived, and was fought by the Sindar and Laiquendi.
- The Second Battle was the Dagor-nuin-Giliath, or Battle-under-Stars, fought by the Ñoldor following Fëanor and his Seven Sons.
- The Third Battle was the Dagor Aglareb, or Glorious Battle, which led to the Siege of Angband.
- Various minor battles were fought during the Siege which are not counted.
- The Fourth Battle was the disastrous Dagor Bragollach, or Battle of Sudden Flame, in which many Ñoldor fell.
- The Fifth Battle was the Nirnaeth Arnoediad or Battle of Unnumbered Tears, in which the Ñoldor were utterly routed.
- The Sixth and Last Battle of Beleriand was the War of Wrath, which defeated Morgoth, ended the First Age of Arda and destroyed Beleriand.