Battles of Beleriand
|Previous war: War for Sake of the Elves|
|Next war: War of the Elves and Sauron|
|Wars of Beleriand|
|Beginning: F.A. 1||End: F.A. 587|
|Place: East and West Beleriand|
|Outcome: Decisive victory for the Valar, Expulsion of Morgoth from Arda|
|Major battles: First Battle of Beleriand, Dagor-nuin-Giliath, Battle of the Lammoth, Dagor Aglareb, Dagor Bragollach, Nírnaeth Arnoediad, Fall of the Falas, War of Wrath|
|Noldor, Sindar, Dwarves, Valar, Maiar, Edain||Morgoth's forces of Angband|
These battles are often referred to as the Wars of Beleriand or Battles of Beleriand, but also as the War of the Jewels as the Silmarilli were behind them all.
The following are the major battles in this long, extended conflict. Morgoth ever used Angband as a mighty fortress, and the base from which to launch his devastating attacks. While the Noldor sometimes triumphed, the Doom of Mandos always hung over their efforts.
- The First Battle of Beleriand was fought before the Ñoldor arrived, and was fought by the Sindar and Laiquendi.
- The Second Battle was the Dagor-nuin-Giliath, or Battle-under-Stars, fought by the Ñoldor following Fëanor and his Seven Sons.
- The Third Battle was the Dagor Aglareb, or Glorious Battle, which led to the Siege of Angband.
- Various minor battles were fought during the Siege which are not counted among the majors.
- The Fourth Battle was the disastrous Dagor Bragollach, or Battle of Sudden Flame, in which many Ñoldor fell.
- The Fifth Battle was the Nírnaeth Arnoediad or Battle of Unnumbered Tears, in which the Ñoldor were utterly routed.
- The Sixth and Last Battle of Beleriand was the War of Wrath, which defeated Morgoth, ended the First Age of Arda and destroyed Beleriand.