Beyond Bree is a monthly publication of the Tolkien Special Interest Group of Mensa. It is a journal of record that is held in the collections of Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin; the Wade Collection of Wheaton College, Wheaton, Illinois; and the Bodleian Library of Oxford University, England. It is cited, for example, in The Annotated Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia, Tolkien the Medievalist, and The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide.
From their website
A typical issue is 12 pages long, contains short articles on J.R.R. Tolkien and his works; reviews of books, games, films, events by, about, or inspired by J.R.R. Tolkien and his works;reviews of books, games, films, events by, about, or inspired by J.R.R. Tolkien and his works, and general fantasy which might be of interest to the Tolkien fan. Also readers' views; fan publications, news, art, occasional poetry and puzzles. We seldom publish fiction. Since we are too widely scattered to meet in person, Beyond Bree carries news of conventions and gatherings where the Tolkien fan might find others of similar interests. And, if readers have questions about Tolkien or his works, we try to answer them.
Beyond Bree Awards
An irregular award presented by Beyond Bree in recognition of outstanding contributions to the study of J.R.R. Tolkien.
- I (1999) presented to Charles B. Elston and Dr Richard E. Blackwelder.
- II (2002) presented to Richard & Perri West and Sumner Gary & Sylvia Hunnewell.
- III (2004) presented to René van Rossenberg and Mike Foster.
- IV (2005) presented to David & Dorothea Salo, Wayne G. Hammond & Christina Scull, and Anthony Burdge & Jessica Burke.
- V (2012) presented to Mark T. Hooker at The Return of the Ring in Loughborough, England.
- ↑ Beyond Bree, June 2012, p. 8.
- ↑ www.cep.unt.edu/~hargrove/bree/BBhistorylong.pdf
- ↑ "The Fifth Beyond Bree Award was given to Mark T. Hooker" dated 26 August 2012, Tolkien Library (accessed 28 August 2012)