Tolkien Gateway

Bindbole Wood

Revision as of 18:36, 13 June 2012 by KingAragorn Bot (Talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Bindbole Wood was a small wood in the southern part of the Northfarthing in the Shire.

The name appears in the map of the Shire,[1] but the letter o in the 1954 edition was not very clear; thus the name has been rendered Bindbale in many later maps (e.g. by Barbara Strachey and Karen Wynn Fonstad), and elsewhere, like in Robert Foster's The Complete Guide to Middle-earth (s.v. Bindbale).

Even Tolkien himself referred to Bindbale in a manuscript note when he was preparing the document later known as Nomenclature.[2]

[edit] References

  1. J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "A Part of the Shire" map
  2. Wayne G. Hammond, Christina Scull (2008), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, p. lvii