Tolkien Gateway

Birmingham Oratory

(Difference between revisions)
Line 3: Line 3:
 
The church was constructed between 1907 and 1910 as a memorial to the Blessed John Henry Newman, a prominent English cardinal who converted from Anglicanism to Catholicism.  
 
The church was constructed between 1907 and 1910 as a memorial to the Blessed John Henry Newman, a prominent English cardinal who converted from Anglicanism to Catholicism.  
  
[[J. R. R. Tolkien]], a devout catholic, worshipped here for about seven years.
+
[[J. R. R. Tolkien]], a devout catholic, worshipped here for about seven years. [[Francis Xavier Morgan]] was a priest of the oratory.
 
==External links==
 
==External links==
 
[http://www.birmingham-oratory.org.uk/TheOratory/Tolkien/tabid/76/Default.aspx Tolkien and the Oratory]
 
[http://www.birmingham-oratory.org.uk/TheOratory/Tolkien/tabid/76/Default.aspx Tolkien and the Oratory]
  
 
[[Category:Structures (real-world)]]
 
[[Category:Structures (real-world)]]

Revision as of 10:55, 5 November 2010

The Birmingham Oratory is a Catholic church in Birmingham. It is used primarily by the Oratory of Saint Philip Neri, a congregation of priests and lay-brothers. Because of its baroque design, it is often called the "Little Rome in Birmingham".

The church was constructed between 1907 and 1910 as a memorial to the Blessed John Henry Newman, a prominent English cardinal who converted from Anglicanism to Catholicism.

J. R. R. Tolkien, a devout catholic, worshipped here for about seven years. Francis Xavier Morgan was a priest of the oratory.

External links

Tolkien and the Oratory