Tolkien Gateway

Birmingham Oratory

Revision as of 10:55, 5 November 2010 by Grond (Talk | contribs)

The Birmingham Oratory is a Catholic church in Birmingham. It is used primarily by the Oratory of Saint Philip Neri, a congregation of priests and lay-brothers. Because of its baroque design, it is often called the "Little Rome in Birmingham".

The church was constructed between 1907 and 1910 as a memorial to the Blessed John Henry Newman, a prominent English cardinal who converted from Anglicanism to Catholicism.

J. R. R. Tolkien, a devout catholic, worshipped here for about seven years. Francis Xavier Morgan was a priest of the oratory.

External links

Tolkien and the Oratory