|Location||Bag End, Hobbiton|
|Birth||S.R. 1246 |
|Death||S.R. 1326 |
|Parentage||Mungo Baggins + Laura Grubb|
Bungo Baggins (T.A. 2846 - 2926, died aged 80) was a well-to-do Hobbit, and the father of Bilbo Baggins. Father and son were so much alike, in looks and behavior, that Bilbo seemed like a "second edition" of his "solid and comfortable" father.
Bungo had an aptitude for either remembering or coining proverbs. Bilbo quoted his father's sayings "third time pays for all" before making his first descent into Erebor and "while there's life there's hope" when leading the Dwarves down to Smaug's lair.
Bungo was the eldest child of Mungo Baggins and Laura Grubb. He married Belladonna Took, daughter of the Old Took, in S.R. 1280. Bungo and Belladonna had only one child together, the infamous Bilbo Baggins.
Apart from fathering Bilbo, Bungo's other achievements were that he built and excavated the rather luxurious Bag End in the Hill in Hobbiton and that he laid down several bottles of Old Winyards wine that would be enjoyed by Rorimac Brandybuck after Bilbo's Farewell Party and by the small party on 21 September T.A. 3018 that Frodo Baggins gave before leaving Bag End.
Portrayal in Adaptations
2003: The Hobbit (2003 video game):
- A portrait of Belladonna, Bungo and a young Bilbo hangs at Bag End. As he looks at it, Bilbo exclaims "A Hobbit couldn't wish for nicer parents".
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix C, "Baggins of Hobbiton"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, "An Unexpected Party"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, "Inside Information"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, "Not at Home"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "Three is Company"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix F, "On Translation"
- ↑ Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Extended Edition) , "Farewell Dear Bilbo", Director's commentary
- ↑ The Hobbit (2003 video game), "Hobitton"