Minor changes of the Primitive Quendian brought the state of Common Eldarin. These changes had to do with several developments of the word-forms, usually normalization. For example:
- "Difficult" consonant clusters, usually those with nasals (like bm and dn), were rearranged
- PQ: labmâ (root LAB) > CE: lambâ, PQ: stabnê (root STAB) > CE stambê
- Final short -a, -e, -o are lost, sometimes producing a long monosyllable as their trace
- PQ: ndêro > CE: ndæ^r (kwende > quendë is an exception)
- Final short -i, -u became -e, -o
- a infiction in some stems which produced new diphthongs like ae, ao
- PQ: *melâ (root MEL) > CE *maelâ
- Later stage
- final long -â, -ê, -î, -ô, -û became short.
During the Great March, dialects separated the uniformity of that language, and produced the Telerin branch.