Council of Gondor
The Council of Gondor was composed of captains that provided advice to the Kings and later the Stewards of Gondor. The Council took authority over the realm after the loss of Ondoher left it kingless in T.A. 1944, and it acted under the control of Steward Pelendur. As the siege of Minas Tirith approached, Denethor II called the Council together on 10 March, T.A. 3019 and it advised him to make no stroke of war against the enemy due to the threat from the south.
It was traditional among the Men of Númenor for the King to maintain a Council of the Sceptre composed of nobles from each of the main regions of Númenor, together with the King's Heir as advisers.
Their descendants in Gondor followed a similar system made up from representatives of each of the South-kingdom's separate lands, probably in addition to the King's heir, and apparently the Steward as well.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Great Years"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Siege of Gondor"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "Aldarion and Erendis: The Mariner's Wife", Note 23