|Gallery||Images of Dori|
Dori was a Dwarf of Durin's folk who lived in the northern Blue Mountains, and later the Lonely Mountain. He had two brothers named Nori, and Ori. They were remote kinsman of King Thorin Oakenshield. He wore a purple hood and played the flute.
The Quest of Erebor
In T.A. 2941, Dori was one of twelve Dwarves selected to accompany Thorin Oakenshield on a quest to reclaim the Lonely Mountain from the Dragon Smaug. Dori was the strongest of the thirteen Dwarves, and he was fond of food. And he was quite a decent fellow, according to Bilbo Baggins.
Dori was noteworthy for two incidents in the tale: Dori carried Bilbo in the tunnels of the Misty Mountains during the escape from the goblins, but unfortunately dropped him; the other Dwarves later blamed him for "losing their burglar."
Later, during the escape from the Wargs, Dori climbed down from a tree, which allowed Bilbo to scramble up the tree. Bilbo later grabbed Dori's legs as they were carried off by an eagle, saving them from a fire lit by Goblins.
Dori lived a very rich life after the quest as one of the reclaimers of the mountain. He was still alive during the War of the Ring, and may have fought in the Battle of Dale. His date of death is not known.
Portrayal in Adaptations
- Dori is played by Alexander John.
1977: Rankin/Bass' The Hobbit:
- Dori is voiced by John Stephenson.
- No actor is specified for the role of Dori.
1982: The Hobbit (1982 video game):
2003: The Hobbit (2003 video game):
- Dori has a long brown beard without moustache. He does not appear in the game until Lake-town, though he can be seen in the fir tree with Bilbo, much like the scene in the book.
2007: The Lord of the Rings Online:
- Dori is a non-playable character. He is captured along with the gems he was bringing to the Dwarves of Othrikar by the Dourhands. The player must rescue him in Vol I, Book III, Chapter 4 "Freeing Dori". He also makes an appearance during the Dwarven Introduction quest line.
2012-3: The Hobbit films:
- Dori will be played by Mark hadlow.
|Members of Thorin and Company|
|Thorin · Balin · Dwalin · Fíli · Kíli · Dori · Nori · Ori · Óin · Glóin · Bifur · Bofur · Bombur · Gandalf · Bilbo Baggins|
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found