Dorothy Whitelock (1901-1982) was educated at Newnham College, Cambridge, and in 1930 went to St Hilda's College, Oxford as a lecturer in English Language. She was appointed to Tutor in 1936 and then a Fellow in 1937. J.R.R. Tolkien and her both were scholars of Anglo-Saxon poetry and she remained a colleague of Tolkien's until 1957 when she became Elrington and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Cambridge. She retired in 1969.