Durin's folk were by right the inhabitants of Khazad-dûm, also called the Longbeards. Their first King was Durin the Deathless.
The Dwarves of Durin's folk were ruled by six kings named Durin, all fathers and sons, until Durin VI, who was killed by Durin's Bane in 1980 of the Third Age. After him Durin did not return to his people for many years, until in the Fourth Age a Durin VII appeared, likely the son of Thorin III, and therefore would have been a direct descendent of Durin the Deathless. Durin VII was also known as Durin the Last.
When Durin's folk were driven out of Khazad-dum, most of them went to the Grey Mountains, while some followed king Thráin I to the Lonely Mountain. But when Thorin I succeeded his father as king, he abandoned the Lonely Mountain for the Grey Mountains, when he saw how prosperous the Dwarves there were. several hundred years later Thorin's great-great-grandson king Dáin I, was killed by invading Cold-Drakes. Durin's folk then fled to the Iron Hills, and once again to the Lonely Mountain. Years later, the Dwarves of Erebor fled the mountain when Smaug attacked. Durin's folk that lived in Erebor, now were exiles. Living for a short period in Dunland, until the War of the Dwarves and Orcs, which they then moved to the Blue Mountains. For over a hundred and fifty years the Dwarves of the Blue mountains waited to take back Erebor, until there king, Thorin II Oakenshield, went on his quest for the Lonely Mountain. He refounded his kingdom after Smaug was killed, but Thorin was killed later in the Battle of Five Armies. His cousin Dáin II Ironfoot succeeded him as king of Durin's folk. Some time during the Fourth Age Durin VII reastablished the kingdom of Khazad-dum.
Line of Durin's folk
- Durin I (The Deathless), father of Dwarves. Founder and first King of Khazad-Dûm.
- Durin II–V, Durin Reincarnated.
- Durin VI son of Durin V. He was killed by Durin's Bane in 1980 T.A.
- Náin I son of Durin VI. Last King of Khazad-Dûm, he was killed by Durin's Bane in 1981 T.A.
- Thráin I son of Náin I. Founded Erebor in 1999 T.A.
- Thorin I son of Thráin I. He left Erebor for the Ered Mithrin
- Glóin son of Thorin I
- Óin son of Glóin
- Náin II son of Óin
- Dáin I son of Náin II. Last King of all of Durin's folk, he was killed by a cold-drake in 2589 T.A.
- Thrór son of Dáin I. Returned to Erebor as King in Exile, and tried to reclaim Moria. Was killed by Azog the Orc in 2790 T.A. (Start of the War of the Dwarves and Orcs)
- Thráin II son of Thrór. Lived in or near Belegost in the Ered Luin. He died in the dungeons of Dol Guldur in 2850 T.A., and was the last holder of the Last Ring of the Dwarves.
- Thorin Oakenshield son of Thrain II. He was the king of the Dwarves of the Blue Mountains, until he refounded Erebor, but was killed in the Battle of Five Armies in 2941 T.A.
After Thorin's death the line passed to his great-nephew Dáin II Ironfoot (son of Grór, younger brother of Thráin II), who was killed in the War of the Ring in 3019 T.A. Dáin's son Thorin III Stonehelm may have had a son or grandson, Durin VII the Last, who refounded Khazad-dûm.