Revision as of 19:23, 11 July 2010 by KingAragorn Bot
Throughout the history of Middle-earth, there have been many Dwarf realms. These realms were:
- Khazad-dum. The most famous and greatest of all the dwarf kingdoms. Located in the Misty Mountains, it was the home of the Longbeards. It prospered for thousands of years until the Dwarves awoke the Balrog which drove them from Khazad-dum, it was then renamed Moria ("Black Pit" in Sindarin).
The Dwarves returned to Moria in the Fourth Age, lead by their leader Durin VII. It is said that the halls of Khazad-dum were filled with the sounds of hammers once again, and was prosperous till the fading of the Dwarven race.
- Nogrod and Belegost, located in the Blue Mountains. Nogrod was the home of the Firebeards, and Belegost was the home to the Broadbeams. Nogrod was completely destroyed during the War of Wrath and Belegost being ruined, leaving the Firebeards and the Broadbeams to either rebuild their halls or (as many did), relocate to Khazad-dum.
The Ered Mithrin would later become a refuge for most of Durin's folk during the Third Age.
- Kingdoms in the Grey Mountains, were the great halls of which many of Durin's folk relocated to after being exiled from Khazad-dum. The Dwarves of the Grey Mountains became very prosperous in their new halls. for over 500 years they mined and defended their halls from the Dragons of the north and the Orcs from the west. Until, finally Cold-drakes forced them from the mountains, and killed their king Dain I.
It is possible that the Dwarves returned to the Ered Mithrin, and retook the ancient halls, though Tolkien never states that this happened.
- Lonely Mountain, was one of the greatest kingdoms of Dwarves. It was founded by Thráin I, but was abandoned by his son, Thorin I. It was resettled by Thrór. but years later Smaug sacked the mountain and drove the Dwarves out. Thorin II Oakenshield refounded the kingdom in TA 2941.
- The Iron Hills, were a range of small mountains rich with iron, inhabited by Durin's folk. They were colonized after the Dragons chased the Dwarves out of the Ered Mithrin. The Dwarves were prosperous from the Third Age till the fading of the Dwarves.
- The Glittering Caves of Aglarond, were a cave system in the White Mountains behind Helm's Deep. Gimli son of Glóin started a colony there after the War of the Ring.
- The Orocarni (Red Mountains), were a mountain range in the far east of Middle-earth. They were inhabited by four of the Dwarf clans, but not much is known about them, or the exact location of this mountain range.