elen (pl. eleni or eldi) means "star" in Quenya.
- elenna "to a star": allative, also a name for Númenor.
- elelli "stars": partitive plural
- elenion "of stars": pl. genitive
- elenillor "from stars": pl. ablative
With the meaning "Elf"
El means "deity" in some Semitic languages, and is a common element in many Hebrew names, as happens with Elvish names.
Dante Alighieri in his De vulgari eloquentia suggests that the word El was the first sound emitted by Adam: While the first utterance of humans after birth is a cry of pain, Dante assumed that Adam could only have made an exclamation of joy, which at the same time was addressing his Creator.
- The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-earth by Ruth S. Noel
- Quenya Corpus Wordlist edited by Helge Kåre Fauskanger
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found