- Father-name: chosen by the father and often based on the father's own name or derived from old legends. Given at or near birth.
- Amilessë: chosen by the mother and often prophetic in nature. Given at or near birth.
- Epessë: often chosen by the Elf himself or herself as an honorific later in life.
The father-name and amilessë were private names used only by family and close friends. The epessë is the name an Elf uses in public. In The Silmarillion, when an Elf does not yet have an epessë, the Sindarin version of his mother- or father-name is used.
- Maglor: The son of Fëanor of the House of Finwë, was given the father-name Canafinwë ("Strong-voiced [of] Finwë"). His amilessë was Makalaurë ("Forging Gold" in the poetic sense). The name Maglor is the Sindarin version of his amilessë.
- Ereinion Gil-galad: The son of Orodreth was given the father-name Rodnor. His amilessë was Gil-galad ("Star of Radiance"). As High King of the Noldor, his epessë was Ereinion ("Scion of Kings").
- Finrod Felagund: The son of Finarfin was given the father-name of Findaráto ("Hair-champion"). He is usually referred to as Felagund ("Hewer of Caves"), originally a derogatory nickname given to him because of his dwelling at Nargothrond. Finrod adopted the name as his epessë and made it a title of honour. The name Finrod is the Sindarin version of his father-name.
- Galadriel: The only daughter of Finarfin was given the father-name of Artanis ("Noble Woman") and the amilessë of Nerwen ("Man-maiden"). Her epessë, Alatáriel ("Maiden Crowned with Radiant Garland"), was given to her by her husband, Celeborn. The name Galadriel is the Sindarin version of her epessë.
- Amras: The last son of the House of Finwë was given the father-name Telufinwë, ("Last [of] Finwë"). His amilessë was Umbarto ("The Fated"). His mother's choice was prophetic, because Amras was the first of the sons of Fëanor to die, accidentally killed in the swan ships of the Teleri when his father ordered them to be burnt at Losgar. The name Amras is the Sindarin version of his father-name.