Revision as of 14:39, 2 December 2010 by Ederchil
|Old Tom Cotton|
|Birth||T.A. 2941 |
|Death||Fo.A. 19 |
|Gallery||Images of Old Tom Cotton|
Tolman comes from Old English tōl + mann meaning "tool person".[source?] In early phases of writing Appendix F, Farmer Cotton's original Westron name was given as Tomacca Lothran or (earlier) Tomakli Lothron.
Portrayal in Adaptations
- Old Tom joins the four Hobbits as they start a revolt. He was always confident of Frodo and Sam's return.
- The Cottons live at South Lane in Bywater. Tolman lives at number 3 and his son Wilcome at number 5.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Scouring of the Shire"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix C, "The Longfather-tree of Master Samwise"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "The Appendix on Languages"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "The Appendix on Languages", note 37.