This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. Please improve this article by introducing more precise citations where appropriate.
The four Farthings were four of the five (later six) divisions of the Shire. They were known simply as Northfarthing, Westfarthing, Southfarthing and Eastfarthing. The Westron word was Tharni, the Sindarin word (presumably) Canath.
The four Farthings of the Shire were based on the three traditional Ridings of Yorkshire (North, West and East).
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "The Appendix on Languages"
- Wayne G. Hammond, Christina Scull (eds.), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion
- Riding (division) at Wikipedia