Fellowship of the Ring
This article or section needs more/new/more-detailed sources to conform to a higher standard and to provide proof for claims made.
- "The Company of the Ring shall be Nine; and the Nine Walkers shall be set against the Nine Riders that are evil..."
- ― Elrond
The Fellowship of the Ring, also known as the Company of the Ring, was formed from nine members of the Free Peoples. Its purpose was to take the One Ring to Mordor, the only place where it could be destroyed.
- Gandalf — One of the Wizards sent to Middle-earth by the Valar. He was the leader of the Fellowship.
- Aragorn, son of Arathorn — The Chieftain of the Dúnedain and the last heir to the throne of Gondor and Arnor.
- Boromir, son of Denethor — Captain-general of Gondor and next-in-line to be the Ruling Steward of Gondor.
- Legolas, son of Thranduil of Mirkwood — Emissary of the Elves of Mirkwood.
- Gimli, son of Gloin — A Dwarf of the Lonely Mountain.
- Frodo Baggins — A Hobbit from the Shire, he was chosen to carry the One Ring.
- Samwise Gamgee — A Hobbit, he was Frodo's gardener, servant and close friend.
- Meriadoc "Merry" Brandybuck — A Hobbit and cousin of Frodo, he and Pippin were best friends.
- Peregrin "Pippin" Took — A Hobbit and also a cousin of Frodo, he was the youngest of the Fellowship.
The Fellowship had no stable plan. One option was to go directly to Mount Doom, the other was to ask help from Boromir's father, Denethor II. Whatever the aim, the Ring-bearer should be Frodo and Gandalf was the leader.
The way of how to reach the East was a problem. After moving south from Rivendell, encountering crebain and wolves, they had to pass the Misty Mountains; Boromir proposed the Gap of Rohan (the way through which he arrived to Rivendell), Gandalf insisted to pass through Moria but Aragorn though the Redhorn Pass would be safer. However after attempting in vain to pass the blizzard, they followed Gandalf's opinion.
In Moria however, they found the Orcs who overran Balin's colony years ago. They also saw Durin's Bane, who devastated Moria in the first place. Gandalf to buy them time, destroyed the Bridge of Khazad-dûm and both Maiar fell together into the abyss, while the Company escaped back to the light.
Aragorn was appointed the head of the Company, and their next stop was to meet with Galadriel and Celeborn, the elf-lords of Lothlorien. They stayed there for several days, resting and counseling for their plan and route. On their leave, the elves gave them several useful gifts and gave them boats to sail the Anduin.
Frodo began to realize the Ring was having a malevolent effect on some members of the party, especially Boromir, who tried to take the ring from him, after the passage through the Argonath. In the process, Frodo put on the ring to escape him, but he was followed by Sam. The rest of the Company was attacked by orcs while trying to find the Ring-bearer. The Orcs succeeded in capturing Merry and Pippin; Boromir fell defending them.
And so, the Fellowship was broken, but not yet disbanded.
Though usually called Fellowship of the Ring in adaptations and by fans, the actual term is not used in full until the chapter Many Partings, when Elessar disbands it. In the story itself, they are usually referred to as the Fellowship, the Company of the Ring (more so than Fellowship), and the Nine Walkers (in opposition of the Nine Riders who pursued them).
- 7 - They pass the ridge of Hollin. Crebain appear. A shadow passes above them at night.
- 8 - The Company reach Hollin.
- 11 - They climb until midnight. Snow on Caradhras.
- 12 - More snow
- 13 - The Company is attacked by Wolves in the early hours. They reach the West-gate of Moria at nightfall. The Watcher attacks and jams the West-gate. Bill the Pony leaves. Gollum begins to trail the Ring-bearer.
- 14 - The road through Moria. The Company spends the night in Hall Twenty-one.
- 15 - They find the Chamber of Mazarbul and Balin's Tomb. Gimli takes the Book of Mazarbul. Attack of the Orcs and the Balrog. The Company reaches the Bridge of Khazad-dûm, which is ruined. Fall of Gandalf. Aragorn leads the Company and they escape outside. The Company reaches Nimrodel late at night and they meet Haldir, Rúmil and Orophin. They sleep on flets.
- 17 - The Company passes the Silverlode and reach the Naith and Cerin Amroth. They come to Caras Galadhon at evening.
- 14 - Frodo and Sam look into the Mirror of Galadriel. Frodo offers the Ring to her, and she passes the test.
- 16 - The Elves give the cloaks, and the gifts of Galadriel. Farewell to Lórien. Gollum in hiding on the west bank observes the departure by boat.
- 22 - Sam sees Gollum and talks about him to Frodo.
- 23 - The boats are attacked at night near Sarn Gebir and retreat. A flying shadow approaches but leaves.
- 24 - They carry the boats through a passage above Sarn Gebir and continue sailing after. The shadow is seen again.
- 25 - The Company passes the Argonath and reaches Nen Hithoel. They camp at Parth Galen.
- 26 - Breaking of the Fellowship. Orcs from the North, Mordor and Isengard attack, and kill Boromir. Meriadoc and Peregrin are captured and carried off towards Isengard. Frodo and Samwise enter the eastern Emyn Muil. Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli set out in pursuit of the orcs at evening.
|Members of the Fellowship of the Ring|
|Frodo · Sam · Merry · Pippin · Gandalf · Aragorn · Legolas · Gimli · Boromir|
|Route of the Fellowship of the Ring|
|Stage One||Rivendell · Caradhras · Moria|
|Stage Two||Gandalf:||Silvertine · Lothlórien · Fangorn Forest|
|All save Gandalf:||Lothlórien · Anduin · Amon Hen|
|Stage Three||Frodo and Sam:||Emyn Muil · Dead Marshes|
|Pippin and Merry:||Emyn Muil · Eastemnet · Fangorn Forest · Wellinghall · Derndingle|
|Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas:||Eastemnet · Fangorn Forest|
|Stage Four||Gandalf, Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas:||Edoras · Hornburg · Isengard|
|Pippin and Merry:||Isengard|
|Frodo and Sam:||Black Gate|
|Stage Five||Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas:||Dunharrow · Paths of the Dead · Lamedon · Pelargir · Minas Tirith|
|Gandalf and Pippin:||Rohan · Anórien · Minas Tirith|
|Merry:||Hornburg · Dunharrow · Drúadan Forest · Minas Tirith|
|Frodo and Sam:||Ithilien · Cross-roads · Morgul Vale · Stairs of Cirith Ungol · Cirith Ungol · Shelob's Lair · Morgai|
|Stage Six||Gandalf, Pippin, Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas:||Osgiliath · Cross-roads · Ithilien · Black Gate · Field of Cormallen|
|Frodo and Sam:||Plateau of Gorgoroth · Mount Doom · Field of Cormallen|
|Stage Seven||All save Merry and Boromir:||Cair Andros · Minas Tirith|
|Stage Eight||All save Boromir:||Anórien · Rohan · Edoras · Isengard|