First Age 495
Revision as of 10:57, 25 November 2016 by Sage
Notable events in this year include:
- Tuor leaves Hithlum and encounters Gelmir and Arminas who show Tuor the way to the Gate of the Noldor. Tuor passes through Drengist and, coming to Nevrast, becomes the first Man to see Belegaer, the Great Sea.
- Gelmir and Arminas, messengers sent by Círdan, come to Nargothrond bearing a message from Ulmo. They advise Orodreth to close the gate and throw down the bridge. Túrin rejects the advice.
- Orcs attack the Forest of Brethil and kill Handir. Brandir becomes the new Chieftain of the Haladin.
- Morgoth unleashes an army on Nargothrond led by Glaurung. After burning the Talath Dirnen, The Battle of Tumhalad takes place. The elves are defeated, and Orodreth and Gwindor. Túrin is protected by the Dragon-helm.
- Túrin returns to witness the Fall of Nargothrond. Nargothrond is completely destroyed and all remaining elves are killed or captured.
- Túrin falls under Glaurung's spell and instead of protecting Finduilas he returns to Dor-lómin to seek Morwen and Nienor.
- Finduilas is taken by orcs and is killed at the Crossings of the Taeglin. The Haladin build a mound over her grave: Haudh-en-Elleth.
- 11 - Tuor encounters Ulmo who instructs him to deliver a message to Turgon in Gondolin.
- 12 - Tuor meets Voronwë who agrees to take Tuor to Gondolin.
- The Fell Winter begins.
- 8 - Tuor and Voronwë reach the Pools of Ivrin and spot Túrin.
- 17 - Tuor and Voronwë hide from orcs travelling on the Old South Road.
- 18 - Tuor and Voronwë travel up the Dry River.
- 19 - After passing the Seven Gates, Tuor and Voronwë come to Gondolin. Tuor delivers Ulmo's message to Turgon but Turgon decides to stay.[note 1]
- ↑ The chronology of Tuor's journey is outlined in "Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin". One statement is particularly informative in outlining the chronology: "Thus did Tuor and Voronwë come in the dusk of the eighteenth day of Hísimë, the thirty-seventh of their journey, to the towers of the Echoriath and the threshold of Turgon"
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of Túrin Turambar"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The War of the Jewels, "The Grey Annals": §275
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Children of Húrin, "The Coming of Túrin into Brethil"