Revision as of 02:58, 26 October 2006 by 220.127.116.11
We have a Characters category that seems to be missing a lot of characters. Anyone who updates a character page should add the appropriate categorization in addition to other work they're doing. --Ted C 15:28, 25 October 2006 (CDT)
- I have fixed it to where we have sub-categories for characters who belong in those races, and those that are left don't really have a race or sub-category they belong to or they are they are very important/well known characters. --Dwarf Lord 16:42, 25 October 2006 (CDT)
- This is when it gets tricky. I try and imagine myself as the visitor and which way would be the easiest for me to navigate. There are two main circumstances: All characters under one category or all characters under subcategories. I'm not sure if putting the "main" characters directly into the Characters category is the best idea because who are we to judge which characters are more important? I think another option might be to list each character in both the Character category, and their specific Race subcategory. This way a visitor can either navigate via the races links or view the whole list. This might be our best option. --Hyarion 17:32, 25 October 2006 (CDT)
- I meant characters like Gandalf, Sauron, Isldur, Fingolfin ect. would mainly be in the characters category. For one, we know more about these characters than for instances, Dis sister of Thorin II. And of course these characters would be in there subcatgories like Elves and Men. My last point is that putting all the people in the characters category would be a pain (at least for me) to navigate through if I was looking for someone. --Dwarf Lord 19:28, 25 October 2006 (CDT)
- I am personally of the opinion that the "characters" category is useless. It seems to serve no useful purpose. I can't think of anyone that would bother looking up all persons in the History of Middle-earth.
- What I can see is categories such as Category:Characters from the Lord of the Rings, and Category:Men from the First Age. These are broad enough categories, and useful. If we want we could make them subcategories of the "one category to rule them all" (well, all the characters): Category:Characters. --Narfil Palùrfalas 20:28, 25 October 2006 (CDT)
- Hey, I definitely would find it useful to see a list of every known character in the legendarium :p However I think what we can do is, like you stated, just add more sub-categories. --18.104.22.168 21:58, 25 October 2006 (CDT)