Forum:How to upload images?
I've been playing about in my sandbox and cannot for the life of me work out how to add upload an image/file. The help text tells me to select "upload image" from the toolbox or in the editor, but there is no such feature. I've been exploring this for about an hour. I must be stupid because I just can't see anything at all...
What's the secret?
- "Upload file" in the left rail. Make sure you read the image policy first. --Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 18:02, 26 March 2016 (UTC)
Can you be a bit more specific? I cannot see it.
- Hi there. I think you just need to look on the left hand panel a little more closely. But once you find the "Upload file" link, read the Image directions carefully. I kept having to edit my image uploads due to mistakes, so to save you that trouble here are some basic steps that I learned from Mith and other admin.
- If it is your own personal picture, you can click "Upload file" under Toolbox (center of the left hand panel), browse for your image, upload it, name it exactly how you want for the Destination filename (you can include special characters, too), and for the Summary description you can include whatever because it's your picture.
- From the drop down menu, select the license type, if it's just your own picture like your face, pictures of your bookcase, or whatever, select "Own work under GFDL". Always select an image appropriate license type see, Help:Images.
- If the picture is from another artist and you have their permission, in writing, including the name they want their art listed under and what website (if any) they want it linked to, you have to do the following steps when you upload it:
- 1. Create (if needed) and complete a Tolkien_Gateway:Copyrights/ArtistName page (if you need help, look at how other pages were made or ask, and to check if they already have one see: Tolkien_Gateway:Copyrights)
- 2. Follow the directions above for selecting and properly naming the image, and in the Summary box, see Licensing below or 'File licensing templates' for exactly what to write.
- 3. Select permission granted from the license drop down menu, you will not need to edit it again because that info will show up automatically from your description summary. Fill in the variables as needed. You may only need two categories 'Images by Artist' and 'Images of Character Name', but if you need more, add another in the same way.
- This is what I write in the Summary box of an artist's image when I am going to upload it:
- == Licensing ==
- [[Category:Images by ARTIST]]
- [[Category:Images of CHARACTER]]
- DeviantArt can be replaced by anything like WordPress, Tumblr, Facebook, or whatever. I think that's everything for the two basic types of image uploads, but you can always follow-up with an admin. Most of the information is in the help files. Please sign your posts so it's timestamped and linked to your name. Press the Pen icon next to the chain links. --Elf-esteem 19:27, 26 March 2016 (UTC)
Thank you. I have copyright over the images.
However, my problem is that I cannot see any "upload file" button or link anywhere. The left panel lists Navigation, Toolbox and Personal Tools with no subheadings of any relevance. The Toolbox subheadings are: What links here, Related changes, and Special pages. —Unsigned comment by Palantirion (talk • contribs).
- Ah, that explains it. I think you're not autoconfirmed yet. New users have limited privileges, as a security measure. I think you need four days and 10 edits. --Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 20:12, 26 March 2016 (UTC)
- Hooray! Problem solved. While you're waiting, go fix some stuff. :) --Elf-esteem 20:18, 26 March 2016 (UTC)
Yes, the first thing I shall correct is the help article to include that bit of quite important information... ;)
I've made ten contributions (not including these posts, of course) and have been a member for 5 days. Still no option to add images... :(
- I've been a user and contributor for over 3 years with far more than 10 edits, and I cannot upload images or files, either. Don't feel too bad. :P -Smog 17:45, 26 August 2016 (UTC)