Hi! First of all, thank you all for the great work! I'm a newcomer here and there are my suggestions what might we (me, personally) do to make TG even better:
- More linguistic info. I noticed some articles lack info on etymology of their titles and others have it inside the text so it is hard to find what a title means. Maybe we could put this info in the special template blocks (like for pronounciation now) and provide some formalism by creating special templates/categories like "Sindarin term", "Westron term" and so on. I also started to make original Tengwar transcriptions for the Elvish titles (see how it looks on Arnor for instance). If someone would like to get on it too, Online tengwar transcriber makes a great help in that.
- More references. To make the information looking reliable and verifiable I think it is a good idea to provide every article with the references to work of JRRT (or others) where this info come from (book and chapter, as minimum). We also can create another template box for this purpose.
- Geographical articles need maps. Now I play with artificial 3D landcapes generator, so I think I'll be able soon to make few ones in "Google sat maps" style (at least for main realms and regions) without copyrights and licensing issues.
- More chronological info. I think we can follow the Wikipedia way to have special category of articles for separate years.
These ideas come from my first glance on TG. Let's discuss it.
--Vardo 04:28, 25 July 2006 (EDT)
- Welcome to Tolkien Gateway, Vardo, and your new status of being one of those few "Gatekeepers". I would like to respond to some of your points:
- More linguistic info I would agree with this. We have only just starting placing root words into the encyclopedia, and it is hard to get it all done in 4500+ articles.
- More references I agree with you here too.
- Geographical articles need maps At last, someone else who has knowledge of computer-generated landscapes, and much more than I do. That sounds excellent in the highest degree. Recently I have been using Bryce for objects rather than landscapes (see Image:Tilkal-red.jpg, Image:Tilkal-green.jpg. I also have a temporary one of Gondolin, but I can't remember the title at the moment). I did, however, create one of Númenor: Image:Numenor.jpg. Anyway, I have only been working on Bryce for less than a year, and it will be nice to have someone who knows what he's doing.
- More chronological info Sounds good. Can you elaborate on this or is it just a thought that you haven't delved into?
- As I said, welcome to Tolkien Gateway. Thanks for jumping right in. --Narfil Palùrfalas 08:35, 25 July 2006 (EDT)
- Oh, one thing about that link. Is there an English translation of that? If not, could you direct me to where the actual transcriber is? I don't speak Polish or whatever that language is, and can't figure it out. --Narfil Palùrfalas 08:44, 25 July 2006 (EDT)