Forum:TG Advent: 30 Improved pages for the New Year
Fellow Gatekeepers, it has come to my attention that while many of the smaller and more minor pages on this wiki are of good quality (I myself tend to concentrate on them), the large, major, and most prominent pages could be, and should be, a lot better. I propose that for the next month, when we get time off from end-of-term and Christmas busy-ness, we concentrate all our efforts on what are probably the most important pages on this wiki. For this project I particularly want to give attention to the top ten articles in the Most linked to pages, most popular pages, and most wanted pages categories. These are the articles that are most viewed by the visitors here, and they should be in tip-top shape for that reason. I would like to invite you to aid in my goal of improving a lot of these by the time the New Year begins, as best as possible (though I myself will be on vacation for a couple of weeks). Just 30 articles (actually less, since the lists have a lot of pages in common) will make our wiki look so much better. So who's in? —Unsigned comment by Tar-Telperien (talk • contribs).
- I've remarked several times on the overlooking of the most important articles, but I hardly ever work on the LotR ones. Not three months ago, for instance, this wiki had over forty-five hundred articles. But Merry and Pippin had each hardly three to five sentences. Gimli was another one (while Legolas of Mirkwood, perhaps not surprisingly, was one of our longer ones). I'll try and help concentrate on some of them. Could we have a list of the prominent ones? --Narfil PalÃ¹rfalas 20:53, 29 November 2006 (EST)
- I'll definitely be working on them this month. My activity has dropped off lately due to finals but I'm off for a month so I can get all caught up now. As Tar-Telperien mentioned, there is a dynamic list of both Most linked to pages and the most popular pages, these are our best bets for what to concentrate on. There's also a few thousand articles in the most wanted pages list. I believe there is also a Special page for shorted pages, too bad we couldn't combine that with the most linked to pages so we could see the short and popular ones. --Hyarion 03:28, 30 November 2006 (EST)
- Is there any way to remove the links to user pages on the talk pages from Most Linked To? Ardamir, Hyarion, and I are all on the first page. --Narfil PalÃ¹rfalas 07:34, 30 November 2006 (EST)
- No, I don't think you can remove those, and it's not really necessary (unless you think your own userpage needs improving, hehe). That list just shows that there's a lot of links to your userpage since you're a very active member. The list isn't there to show the pages that need improving; I'm just using it as a guide to work on pages that are important. It's perfectly okay for userpages to show up there, but in this project we can and should ignore them. Userpages are up to the user to make nice. âTar-Telperien 14:49, 30 November 2006 (EST)
http://librosyviajes.com/cialis.html cialis 8] http://www.blogdope.com/prednisone.html prednisone %-] http://www.meridiapills.com/ meridia :OOO http://librosyviajes.com/metoprolol.html metoprolol =[
- Elves (8,434 views) - This article is rewritten. Subpages (e.g., Elven Customs, Elven Life cycle, and Elven Characteristics) must be expanded and corrected.
- Middle-earth (8,348 views) - Obvious why that's on the list. It's rewritten, but still needs a bad expansion.
- The Children of HÃºrin (8,029 views) - Obvious as well. I can't comment on this one. It's been great publicity for the wiki, though. It's raised our popularity up several notches, to be sure.
- Morgoth (6,596 views) - No changes since last time. Actually, a pretty good article.
- J.R.R. Tolkien (5,620 views) - It's even below Comics. Something's wrong. Anyway, it needs to be de-Wikipedia-ed.
- Witch-king of Angmar (5,249 views) - One of the worst of the larger articles we have. I would also mention the Gimli article here, which isn't large or good enough.
- Gandalf (4,870 views) - This has not been changed, so far as I remember. It needs some work, as is obvious on the Main Page. Though there are other articles just as important that need it worse.
- The Fall of Gondolin (4,837 views) - Dropped down a notch. Same as above.
- Christopher Tolkien (4,649 views) - Probably because of the Children of HÃºrin. De-wikipedia-ify, mainly. Expansion and organization.
- NazgÃ»l (4,433 views) - Same as above.
- Thorin II Oakenshield (3,937 views) - I don't know why this is so popular, but at any rate, it needs a little bit of cleanup.
- Gondolin (3,774 views) - Especially after that recent expansion, I'd say this is definitely one of our best articles. Still, there is always room for improvement.
- The Lord of the Rings (3,481 views) - Let's just say we've got a ways to go on this, especially with synopsis. The summary should be detailed.
- Balrogs (3,472 views) - Too much on Balrog wings, etc. (should be moved elsewhere); not enough on the Balrogs themselves and their history, in my opinion. Still, I wouldn't put it as a number one priority for correction.
Well, that's it, I guess. --Narfil PalÃ¹rfalas 16:44, 17 April 2007 (EDT)
- Just another thought. Would it be a good idea to have importance scales, such as Wikipedia has, in the form of templates posted on the talk page? We could think of some interesting Tolkien-related names, I'm sure. . . --Narfil PalÃ¹rfalas 17:14, 17 April 2007 (EDT)
I don't think there's anything wrong with having such a scale. On Wikipedia tha names and such are not very interesting, but by using such a scale (with the awesome names with which we'd come up) it would help those just getting involved in Tolkien or only wishing to get a basic understanding read all the most important articles and navigate by what's "essential" to know. --Breragor • (Talk • Contribs • Edits) 19:24, 7 June 2010 (UTC)