Forum:TG Advent: 30 Improved pages for the New Year
Fellow Gatekeepers, it has come to my attention that while many of the smaller and more minor pages on this wiki are of good quality (I myself tend to concentrate on them), the large, major, and most prominent pages could be, and should be, a lot better. I propose that for the next month, when we get time off from end-of-term and Christmas busy-ness, we concentrate all our efforts on what are probably the most important pages on this wiki. For this project I particularly want to give attention to the top ten articles in the Most linked to pages, most popular pages, and most wanted pages categories. These are the articles that are most viewed by the visitors here, and they should be in tip-top shape for that reason. I would like to invite you to aid in my goal of improving a lot of these by the time the New Year begins, as best as possible (though I myself will be on vacation for a couple of weeks). Just 30 articles (actually less, since the lists have a lot of pages in common) will make our wiki look so much better. So who's in? —Unsigned comment by Tar-Telperien (talk • contribs).
- I've remarked several times on the overlooking of the most important articles, but I hardly ever work on the LotR ones. Not three months ago, for instance, this wiki had over forty-five hundred articles. But Merry and Pippin had each hardly three to five sentences. Gimli was another one (while Legolas of Mirkwood, perhaps not surprisingly, was one of our longer ones). I'll try and help concentrate on some of them. Could we have a list of the prominent ones? --Narfil Palùrfalas 20:53, 29 November 2006 (EST)
- I'll definitely be working on them this month. My activity has dropped off lately due to finals but I'm off for a month so I can get all caught up now. As Tar-Telperien mentioned, there is a dynamic list of both Most linked to pages and the most popular pages, these are our best bets for what to concentrate on. There's also a few thousand articles in the most wanted pages list. I believe there is also a Special page for shorted pages, too bad we couldn't combine that with the most linked to pages so we could see the short and popular ones. --Hyarion 03:28, 30 November 2006 (EST)
- Is there any way to remove the links to user pages on the talk pages from Most Linked To? Ardamir, Hyarion, and I are all on the first page. --Narfil Palùrfalas 07:34, 30 November 2006 (EST)
- No, I don't think you can remove those, and it's not really necessary (unless you think your own userpage needs improving, hehe). That list just shows that there's a lot of links to your userpage since you're a very active member. The list isn't there to show the pages that need improving; I'm just using it as a guide to work on pages that are important. It's perfectly okay for userpages to show up there, but in this project we can and should ignore them. Userpages are up to the user to make nice. —Tar-Telperien 14:49, 30 November 2006 (EST)
For the partaker's convenience, I made a list of articles by popularity, each with a comment on what should be (in my opinion) worked on.
- Elves - Organization! This article is informative but the info is not organized well
- Middle-earth - Expansion, definitely. It's a relatively small article for such an important subject
- J.R.R. Tolkien - Really, this is a good article
- Witch-king of Angmar - This article needs a lot of work, cleanup mainly
- Morgoth - Some minor organization, that's all
- Gandalf - This is a good article, but there needs to be more information on the actual character and his history, rather than the overpowering size of his inspiration and little side-facts
- The Fall of Gondolin - Probably got here in part because it's linked to by the Wikipedia article. But it's incompleted. I know it's sort of my responsibility, I being the one that started it in all, but I really haven't had time recently and hope that others who possess a copy of the text can help
- Nazgûl - Minor cleanup; I also think the graphics could use some switching, changing, and moving
- Uruk-hai - Expansion
- The Children of Húrin - What! More popular than The Lord of the Rings?!
- The Lord of the Rings - Cleanup, organization, and more graphics
- Thorin II Oakenshield - Minor cleanup, graphics
- Legolas of Mirkwood - For an even 14. This article needs huge cleanup and organization. Like Elves, it's a mess of information
Any suggestions for this list are appreciated. --Narfil Palùrfalas 19:49, 28 February 2007 (EST)