Forum:What is Needed
I have several projects going (ie, the Lay of Leithian) but otherwise have not found much to do as most of the words in Tolkien's Arda have articles. Is there any way to post a list of projects here that users can work on? --Narfil Palùrfalas 16:13, 5 May 2006 (EDT)
- A project list is a good idea. I would be happy to share some of my tasks with you if you want to start any of them :) I'll try and write a Tolkien_Gateway:Projects article today listing some ideas for projects, who's working on what, timeframes, etc. Feel free to post ideas here. Just off the top of my head though we need to rewrite all the articles, have infoboxes similar to the one at Frodo Baggins, have an image for every article, have references/sources for every article, index all the Tolkien forums and put links to forum articles on relevant articles like at Entwives, work on the music/songs section, work on the Gallery page and images, work on adding all the Tolkien-related Games, etc. etc. etc. --Hyarion 16:20, 5 May 2006 (EDT)
- Here's a question. Should we do articles on LOTR sites on the web? --Narfil Palùrfalas 19:27, 20 May 2006 (EDT)
- Speaking of such, would it be a good idea to have articles on individual fanfictions, paintings, etc? Or would this be too much, or not a good idea because few fanfics/paintings are correct and none are canon? (By the way, we do need a general page about fanfictions; I'll try and get that done) --Narfil Palùrfalas 19:37, 20 May 2006 (EDT)
- I think we should try to focus on Tolkien's work and MAJOR fanfics and adaptations. Otherwise we could easily overload the Wiki with essentially useless info. Anything related to Peter Jackson, Rankin/Bass, or the BBC are definitely in. Same with (in)famous parodies, like Bored of the Rings. After that we should focus on widely read and praised work. If someone read a great piece of fanfiction that s/he thinks should be featured, s/he should just add a link to his/her personal page. In my opinion, the rule of thumb should be: if the work has been professionally published it should be mentioned here. --Ebakunin 20:48, 20 May 2006 (EDT)
- I agree, lets stick with the most obvious articles first. Regarding fan fictions its a great idea but they should be kept on user's userpages, such as User:Hyarion/Fanfiction/Hyarion_the_Coolest. Then we can have a Fanfiction page which links to them. This will keep the articles away from cluttering the main namespace and when (if) we add an extension to protect user pages this will prevent people from vandalizing stories which should not be edited by anyone. Speaking of which I think fanfictions which are created by the community would be a very cool idea, something which can't take place on forums. (Community written screenplays is also similar) --Hyarion 21:02, 20 May 2006 (EDT)
- Articles/Reviews/etc on LotR sites is a great idea which I've been planning on doing for a while but I agree with Ebakunin, we should concentrate on major things first, then expand into the more detailed aspects. But if you want to go ahead why not? Personally I think the article name should be the exact address such as tolkiengateway.net, no capitals, no spaces, etc. as there are several sites with the same names, or they change their names, etc. but the address is usually the most solid. We can always redirect the titles to the articles however. The article should also be neutral, and not flaming the sites (unless it is a common viewpoint :)). --Hyarion 21:02, 20 May 2006 (EDT)
- Would it be hard to put a direct link to the Wanted Pages in the Navigation sidebar?
- --Ted C 17:25, 9 October 2006 (EDT)
- While it wouldn't be hard I'm not sure I would recommend it as 99% of the visitors to this site are not editors and would have no use for it. Eventually I do want to rework the navigation though so it includes the main links such as those displayed in the top right of Main Page/Development --Hyarion 18:10, 9 October 2006 (EDT)
- In the toolbox, perhaps?
- --Ted C 11:58, 10 October 2006 (EDT)
- Ah.... there's still so much to be done simply with the text of the articles themselves; I've surfed the Random Page feature and so many of them are incomplete and/or badly written, and nearly all are devoid of citations (I'm guilty here!). I say we need to work on the text more than anything else; IMO that's the most important part of the stuff here. That's what I'm concentrating on anyway. --Tar-Telperien 02:36, 8 November 2006 (EST)
List of Priorities
I thought it would be a good idea to post this. It's small right now, but it'll grow. Add whatever you like.
Articles to be created
- On Tolkien websites
- On Sindarin/Quenya/Telerin/Sindarin/Doriathrin/etc. words
Articles to be expanded
- A lot of the articles on the texts themselves (eg. the Ainulindale) are incomplete or nonexistent. Warmaster has started working on some of these, but he hasn't been around much lately. I plan on fleshing out the Ainulindale and the "Tale of Adanel" when I get the time
- My most immediate project is finishing up the pages on the Darkness and the Shadow; I should then be done with the category. I will then move onto improving articles on all the Rulers of Númenor (I have already done some of them, but a lot are still rough) --Tar-Telperien 02:36, 8 November 2006 (EST)
- The Fall of Gondolin is not finished
- Etymologies should be included on all pages