G.E. Selby 14-15 December 1937
Revision as of 18:36, 28 January 2013 by Morgan
- Subject: Replying to a letter from Selby dated 28 November, Tolkien discusses various aspects of The Hobbit, especially in relation to The Silmarillion.
- Publication: Extracts from the letter appeared in Sotheby's Nineteenth Century and Modern First Editions, Presentation Copies, Autograph Letters and Literary Manuscripts 28-29 July 1977, and was fully reproduced and transcribed[note 1] in 1987 in J.R.R. Tolkien: The Hobbit: The Hobbit Drawings, Watercolors and Manuscripts. In 1988, Christopher Tolkien quoted from the letter in his Foreword to The Return of the Shadow. A summary of the letter was provided by Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond in The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide: Chronology.
- ↑ John D. Rateliff has noted an error in the 1987 transcription of the letter, cf. "A Fragment, Detached: The Hobbit and The Silmarillion", first published in French as "Un Fragment, détaché: Bilbo le Hobbit et le Silmarillion" in L'Arc et le Heaume: Tolkien 1892-2012 (July 2012).
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (2006), The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide: I. Chronology, pp. 207-8
- ↑ "Nineteenth Century and Modern First Editions.1977" , TolkienBooks.net (accessed 28 January 2013)
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Return of the Shadow, "Foreword", p. 7