|Gamgling the Old|
|Birth||Late Third Age |
|Gallery||Images of Gamgling the Old|
An old man during the War of the Ring, Gamling was still a commanding presence at the time of the Battle of the Hornburg. During the battle Gamling was the first to realize that Orcs had penetrated the Deep through its culvert, and he led the counterattack himself.
Gamling is somewhat anglicized/modernized while genuinely it should be Gameling. It would be one of the words and names that hobbits recognized as similar to Hobbitish (like Shadowfax or Wormtongue).
Portrayal in Adaptations
- Patrick Barr provided the voice of Gamgling.
- Gamling was played by New Zealand actor Bruce Hopkins. His role was expanded to that of a lieutenant to Théoden.
- Despite the game's heavy reliance on movie audio tracks, Gamling's speech at the departure from Edoras is not resampled, but dubbed in verbatim by Tom Kane.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, "Helm's Deep"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, "The Road to Isengard"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 J.R.R. Tolkien, "Nomenclature of The Lord of the Rings" in Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (eds), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, p. 758