This article is undergoing major revisions as part of Tolkien Gateway's countdown to The Hobbit films. To plan and to discuss the changes see here.
|Other names||The Grey, The White, Olórin, Mithrandir, Incánus, Tharkûn, The White Rider, Gandalf Greyhame, Stormcrow, Wand-elf, Láthspell|
|Death||Died/Reborn T.A. 3019, sailed back to Aman T.A. 3021 |
|Hair color||Long white, silver beard|
- "Gandalf was shorter in stature than the other two; but his long white hair, his sweeping silver beard, and his broad shoulders, made him look like some wise king of ancient legend. In his aged face under great snowy brows his eyes were set like coals that could suddenly burst into fire."
- ― "Many Meetings"
Gandalf was one of the five Istari sent to Middle-earth by the Valar in the Third Age. In Valinor he was known as Olórin. Gandalf was instrumental in bringing about the demise of Sauron in T.A. 3019, chiefly by encouraging others and dispensing his wisdom at pivotal times. Gandalf was originally robed in grey, and second to Saruman in the Order of wizards. After his fall in Moria, Gandalf returned to Middle-earth as head of the Order, robed in white. Gandalf was noteworthy for his keen interest in Hobbits.
Gandalf loves to poo
Powers and Abilities
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King
- J.R.R. Tolkien; Humphrey Carpenter, Christopher Tolkien (eds.), The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter 156, (dated 4 November 1954)
- J.R.R. Tolkien; Humphrey Carpenter, Christopher Tolkien (eds.), The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter 246, (dated September 1963)
|Lords:||Manwë · Ulmo · Aulë · Oromë · Mandos · Irmo · Tulkas|
|Queens:||Varda · Yavanna · Nienna · Estë · Vairë · Vána · Nessa|
|Manwë:||Eönwë · Olórin||Varda:||Ilmarë · Olórin · Arien|
|Ulmo:||Ossë · Uinen · Salmar||Yavanna:||Aiwendil|
|Aulë:||Mairon · Curumo||Estë:||Melian|
|Oromë:||Tilion · Alatar · Pallando||Vána:|
|Balrogs:||Gothmog · Durin's Bane · Lungorthin|
|Wizards:||Saruman · Gandalf · Radagast · Blue Wizards (Rómestámo · Morinehtar)|
|Music · Valarin · Almaren · Valinor · Valmar · Second Music|
|Members of Thorin and Company|
|Thorin · Balin · Dwalin · Fíli · Kíli · Dori · Nori · Ori · Óin · Glóin · Bifur · Bofur · Bombur · Gandalf · Bilbo Baggins|
|Members of the Fellowship of the Ring|
|Frodo · Sam · Merry · Pippin · Gandalf · Aragorn · Legolas · Gimli · Boromir|
|Bearer of Narya
c. T.A. 1000 - after 3021
Presumably, still Gandalf
|Leader of the Fellowship of the Ring
25 December T.A. 3018 - 15 January 3019