George Sydney Benedict Sayer (June 1, 1914 – October 20, 2005), head of the English Department at Malvern College, Worcestershire, from 1949 until 1974, was a pupil and later close personal friend of C.S. Lewis during his undergraduate years. Sayer wrote the memoir and biography Jack: C.S. Lewis and His Times. In August 1947 Sayer also befriended J.R.R. Tolkien.
In August 1952 Tolkien visited Sayer and his wife and lent them the typewritten manuscript of The Lord of the Rings. During this visit, Sayer was to capture Tolkien singing and reading excerpts from The Hobbit and the manuscripts of The Lord of the Rings (see Audio recordings).
- 1995: Proceedings of the J.R.R. Tolkien Centenary Conference
- "Recollections of J.R.R. Tolkien"
- 1999: Tolkien: A Celebration: Collected Writings on a Literary Legacy
- "*Recollections of J.R.R. Tolkien"
- George Sayer 21 March 1966 (letter)