Revision as of 09:11, 20 October 2010 by Mith
Gorcrows were a legendary species of birds, only mentioned in passing in Hobbit verse. These foul crows, who croaked in their sleep, are said to have lived in the same damp marshes as the fearsome Mewlips.
- "And gloomily the gorcrows stand
Croaking in their sleep."
- ― The Mewlips
Portrayal in adaptations
- Gorcrows are said to have 4 ft. wingspan and to be smaller cousins of the crebain, and to be attracted to shiny things (a common character trait of crows, ravens, magpies and jackdaws, for example). The northern gorcrow, living in Forodwaith, is described as a larger version of the common gorcrow. The Lossoth are said to regard the norhern gorcrows as birds of ill-omen.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, "The Mewlips"
- ↑ Patrick J. Cassidy, ed. (1913), Webster Dictionary
- ↑ Ruth Sochard Pitt, Jeff O'Hare, Peter C. Fenlon, Jr. (1994), Creatures of Middle-earth (2nd edition) (#2012)
- ↑ John Crowdis (1990), Rogues of the Borderlands (#8014), p. 6
- ↑ Randy Maxwell (1997), The Northern Waste (#2025)
|Legendary Races of Arda|
|Animals:||Dumbledors · Gorcrows · Hummerhorns · Pards · Swans of Gorbelgod · Turtle-fish|
|Dragon-kind:||Great glow-worms · Sea-serpents · Spark-dragons · Were-worms|
|Evil Races:||Giants · Gongs · Half-trolls · Hobgoblins · Ogres · Snow-trolls · Two-headed Trolls|
|Fairies:||Dryads · Mermaids · Sprites · Sylphs · White cow|
|Other:||Badger-folk · Great beasts · Lintips · Mewlips · Nameless Things · Spectres|
|Individuals:||The Hunter · Lonely Troll · Man in the Moon · The Rider · River-woman · Tarlang · Tim|