|Line 27:||Line 27:|
Revision as of 14:45, 14 December 2010
|Other names||Ogmandab Zaragamba|
|Birth||circa S.R. 740 |
Gorhendad Oldbuck of the Marish crossed the Brandywine in S.R. 740 and founded Buckland and Brandy Hall. In honor of their new land, he changed his family name to Brandybuck. He ruled the land as his own realm, and his family became even wealthier than they already were. Their removal from the Shire meant Thainship passed to the Took Family.
Gorhendad is the translation of Westron Ogmandab (in an earlier manuscript version spelled Ogforgad) which, according to Stoor tradition, used to mean "great-grandfather". Gorhendad is the modern Welsh word for "great-grandfather".
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix C, "Brandybuck of Buckland"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "A Conspiracy Unmasked"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "The Appendix on Languages", note 8
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "The Appendix on Languages"
- ↑ Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (eds), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, p. 115
- ↑ Mark T. Hooker, A Tolkienian Mathomium, p. 10
Bucca of the Marish
|12th Thain of the Shire|
Third Age ?? - 2340
Isumbras Took I