Half-trolls was a term used to describe the men of Far Harad that came to the Battle of the Pelennor Fields. They were black skinned with white eyes and red tongues. Later in the Battle, the knights of Dol Amroth are said to have driven off the "troll-men and Variags and orcs". If these names actually referred to some creature, or even if they were meant to refer to the same group of individuals, is uncertain.
According to Christopher Tolkien, a character in the Thiðrekssaga (a 13th century work which influenced The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún), who is an off-spring of a woman and an incubus, appears "troll-like" and is "all over dark, with black hair and black beard".
 Portrayal in adaptations
1982-97: Middle-earth Role Playing:
- Half-trolls (Sindarin Pirtereg, sing. Pertorog) were bred by Sauron, from a union of Olog-hai and Variags or Men from Khand. They are about seven feet tall and have black skin.
1995-8: Middle-earth Collectible Card Game:
- "Half-trolls of Far Harad" is a creature, able to inflict two strikes on a player. "Half-trolls" is a Troll Faction, playable at Cirith Ungol or Barad-dûr.
- The Half Trolls are "Mahûd men" of Far Harad who were altered to the size and strength of the Olog-hai of Sauron. During the end of the Third Age, when Sauron was destroyed, their powers diminished and they too fell into darkness. Units include "Half Troll Warband" and "Half Troll of Far Harad".
- Half-Troll Marauders are crossbreeds of Trolls and an Orcs. These creatures serve as the pikemen unit for the Goblin faction.. In a later expansion pack, Half Troll Swordsmen are available.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Battle of the Pelennor Fields"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún, "Appendix A: Origins of the Legend", p. 357
- ↑ S. Coleman Charlton (1993), Middle-earth Role Playing (2nd edition, hardcover) (#2000)
- ↑ R. Mark Colburn, Peter C. Fenlon, John D. Ruemmler, Terry K. Amthor, Jessica M. Ney (1989), Lords of Middle-earth Vol III: Hobbits, Dwarves, Ents, Orcs & Trolls (#8004)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Troll-man at Wikipedia (accessed 14 November 2010)
- ↑ Half Trolls at Games Workshop (accessed 14 November 2010)
- ↑ Battle for Middle-earth II - The Goblin Horde at Ign.com (accessed 14 November 2010)
|Legendary Races of Arda|
|Animals:||Dumbledors · Gorcrows · Hummerhorns · Pards · Swans of Gorbelgod · Turtle-fish|
|Dragon-kind:||Great glow-worms · Sea-serpents · Spark-dragons · Were-worms|
|Evil Races:||Giants · Gongs · Half-trolls · Hobgoblins · Ogres · Snow-trolls · Troll-men · Two-headed Trolls|
|Fairies:||Badger-folk · Dryads · Mermaids · Sprites · Sylphs · White cow|
|Other:||Great beasts · Lintips · Mewlips · Nameless Things · Spectres|
|Individuals:||The Hunter · Lonely Troll · Man in the Moon · The Rider · Tarlang · Tim|