The term appears so rarely that there is little clear basis for a definition. Its only other occurrence is later in The Hobbit where Gandalf warns Bilbo Baggins that the Grey Mountains are "simply stiff with goblins, hobgoblins, and orcs of the worst description".
Other versions of the Legendarium
Portrayals in Adaptations
1996, 1997: Middle-earth Collectible Card Game:
- The card "Hobgoblins" was released in two editions: one for the expansion set Middle-earth: The Dragons (card art by Ron Chironna) and one for Middle-earth: The Lidless Eye (card art by Heather Hudson).
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit: Note on Runes (1966 and later editions)
- ↑ Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (HarperCollinsPublishers 2008), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, pg. 24
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, "Queer Lodgings"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien; Humphrey Carpenter, Christopher Tolkien (eds.), The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter 319, (dated 8 January 1971)