Revision as of 12:52, 2 May 2008 by Ederchil
|Lifetime||May 25, 1939|
|Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings|
- "The Lord of the Rings is a mythology. It is a fairy tale. It's an adventure story. It never happened..except somewhere in our hearts. And yet, there was Hobbiton in three dimensions and smoke coming out of the holes where they live underground. And I believed."
- ― Ian McKellen, lordoftherings.net
- "I am encouraged by the theatricality of [Tolkien's] readings -- full of rhythm and humour and characterisation. Without question Gandalf is like Tolkien but then so, I suspect, are Frodo and Aragorn."
- ― Ian McKellen
- "Yes, it’s true,” he said. “I spoke to Guillermo in the very room that Peter Jackson offered me the part and he confirmed that I would be reprising the role. Obviously, it’s not a part that you turn down, I loved playing Gandalf."
- ― Ian McKellen - On portraying Gandalf in Guillermo del Toro's The Hobbit.
- Honors from the Screen Actors Guild for Best Supporting Actor in Peter Jackson's The Fellowship of the Ring.
- Nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in Peter Jackson's The Fellowship of the Ring.