Revision as of 23:36, 19 May 2012 by Morgan
- Note 1: Entries which have no article of their own carry references, otherwise references are found under each article.
- Note 2: Material which is only rumoured (i.e., where no reference has been found in a reliable published source), questionable, disputed, or similiar, are enclosed with parentheses.
Essays, Notes, and Lectures
- "The Beginnings of English Poetry" (talk to the Oxford High School for Girls)
- "Celts and Teutons"
- Critique of "Distressing Tale of Thangobrind the Jeweler"
- Elvish time (partially published)
- Essay concerning Smith of Wootton Major (partially published)
- "Francis Thompson" - paper on Francis Thompson, presented to the Exeter College Essay Club. (partially published)
- Lecture on Dragons (partially published)
- Númenórean religion
- Papers relating to "English and Welsh"
- Notes on etymology of 'Lydney'
- "The Ulsterior Motive"
- (Notes in Specimens Of Early English)[note 1]
Fiction and Poetry
- The End of Bovadium
- The Fall of Arthur
- The King of the Green Dozen
- The Orgog
- Sellic Spell
- Tales and Songs of Bimble Bay
- (Unknown "alliterative poem")
- "The Brothers in Arms" (or "The Brothers-in-Arms")
- "Companions of the Rose"
- "Copernicus and Ptolemy" (or "Copernicus v. Ptolemy")
- "The Dale-lands"
- "From the many-willow'd margin of the immemorial Thames (second stanza) [add note in article]
- "The Grimness of the Sea" [add note in article]
- "The Horns of the Host of Doriath"
- "Magna Dei Gloria"
- "Tol Erresëa" [add note in article]
- Jan Broberg 1 June 1961 (only published in Swedish)
- Den besynnerlige professor Tolkien (only published in Swedish)
Linguistics (invented languages)
- (athelas/asëa etymology (1970s))
- Book of the Foxrook (partially published)
- Common Eldarin pronominal elements (grammatical description; partially published)[note 2]
- "Homophonic stems" (partially published; ca. 1968, typescript text)
- "Lyenna" inscription (1968)
- "Late essay", ca. 1966-70 (partially published)
- Noldorin Grammar
- Collection of Simonne d'Ardenne (includes letters, lecture notes, etc.; only a tengwar inscription from the collection published)
- The Diaries of J.R.R. Tolkien (partially published)
- "Index questions" (Glossary-index) (partially published)
- "The Sword of the Stone manuscript"
Translations and Editions
- the "Clarendon Chaucer"
- "Gunnar's End". [Translation of brief passage from the Norse Atlakviða into Old English verse.]
- The Owl and the Nightingale
- Pwyll Prince of Dyved
- (Die Walküre)
- ↑ While the book has been certified by Hammond and Scull as being from Tolkien's library, it remains unknown if the notes were made by him or by other owners/students.
- ↑ This manuscript appears to be included with the published "Quenya Pronominal Elements" (cf. J.R.R. Tolkien, "Five Late Quenya Volitive Inscriptions" (edited by Carl F. Hostetter), in Vinyar Tengwar, Number 49, June 2007, p. 50).
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Christina Scull, Wayne G. Hammond, "Addenda and Corrigenda to The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide (2006) Vol. 1: Chronology" , Hammond&Scull.com (accessed 19 May 2012)
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien; Douglas A. Anderson, (ed.), (2002) The Annotated Hobbit: Revised and Expanded Edition, p. 205
- ↑ Yvan Strelzyk, Who Am I? at Elrond's Library (accessed 29 October 2011)
- ↑ Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (2006), The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide: I. Chronology, p. 842
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (2006), The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide: I. Chronology, p. 843
- ↑ Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (2006), The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide: I. Chronology, p. 848
- ↑ Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (2006), The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide: I. Chronology, p. 850
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, "Words, Phrases and Passages in Various Tongues in The Lord of the Rings", in Parma Eldalamberon XVII (edited by Christopher Gilson), p. 14
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, "Eldarin Hands, Fingers & Numerals and Related Writings — Part Three" (edited by Patrick H. Wynne), in Vinyar Tengwar, Number 49, June 2007, p. 14
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, "Words, Phrases and Passages in Various Tongues in The Lord of the Rings", in Parma Eldalamberon XVII (edited by Christopher Gilson), p. 44
- ↑ Nathalie Kotowski, "Letter to the Editor", in Vinyar Tengwar 23 (1992), p. 16
- ↑ Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (eds), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, p. 847