Index:Writings by J.R.R. Tolkien
|Line 352:||Line 352:|
[[CATEGORY:Tolkien Gateway research]]
[[CATEGORY:Tolkien Gateway research]]
Revision as of 08:51, 1 August 2010
This is an attempt to list all the published writings (including letters and transcribed interviews) of J.R.R. Tolkien appearing in books, periodicals and ephemera, in chronological order. For a list of his major books, see the bibliography section on the J.R.R. Tolkien page.
- Note 1: For ease of reference (and because many items do not have an exact date of publication), works are sorted alphabetically under each year.
- Note 2: The list does not (in general) include reprints.
- Note 3: For unpublished writings by Tolkien, see Unpublished material
Publications during Tolkien's Lifetime
- 1910: The King Edward's School Chronicle. n.s.25, n°183. Contains Debating Society Report, pp.67-71.
- 1910: The King Edward's School Chronicle. n.s.25, n°184. Contains Debating Society Report, pp.94-95.
- 1911: The King Edward's School Chronicle. n.s.26, n°185. Contains Debating Society Report, pp.5-9.
- 1911: The King Edward's School Chronicle. n.s.26, n°186. Contains The Battle of the Eastern Field, pp. 22-26, and Acta Senatus, pp. 26-27.
- 1911: The King Edward's School Chronicle. n.s.26, n°187. Contains 'Editorial', pp.33-34, and 'Debating Society Report', pp.42-45.
- 1911: The King Edward's School Chronicle. n.s.26, n°188. Contains 'Editorial', pp.53-54.
- 1913: Exeter College Smoker. Cover artwork by JRRT.
- 1913: Stapeldon Magazine. Exeter college. Oxford. 4, n°20. Contains From the many-willow'd margin of the immemorial Thames, p.11.
- 1915: Oxford Poetry 1915. Ed. G.D.H. Cole & T.W. Earp. B.H. Blackwell. Contains Goblin Feet, pp.64-65.
- 1917: Oxford Poetry 1914-1916. Ed. G.D.H. Cole & W.S.V. B.H. Blackwell. Contains Goblin Feet, p.120.
- 1920: The Book of Fairy Poetry. Includes Goblin Feet.
- 1920: Stapeldon Magazine. 5, n°26. Contains The Happy Mariners, pp.69-70.
- 1922: A Middle English Vocabulary.
- 1922?: Fifty New Poems for Children. Includes Goblin Feet.
- 1922: The Gryphon, Vol.4 No.3. Includes The Clerke's Compleinte.
- 1923: A Northern Venture. Includes poems Tha Eadigan Saelidan, Why the Man in the Moon Came Down Too Soon, and Enigmata Saxonica Nuper Inventa Duo.
- 1923: Bulletin of the Modern Humanities Research Association, number 20. Includes obituary Henry Bradley: 3 Dec., 1845-23 May, 1923.
- 1923: Gryphon. Leeds University. n.s.4, n°4. Contains Iumonna Gold Galdre Bewunden, p.130.
- 1923: The Microcosm, Vol.8 No.1. Includes The City of the Gods.
- 1923: Times Literary Supplement. London, 26 april 1923. Contains Holy Maidenhood, p.281.
- 1923: Yorkshire Poetry. Leeds, 2 n°19. Contains The cat and the fiddle: A nursery-rhyme undone and its scandalous secret unlocked, p.1-3.
- 1924: Leeds University Verse 1914-1924. Leeds University English School Association. Swan Press.
- 1924: The Year's Work in English Studies 1923. Ed. Lee & Boas. The English Association. Oxford University Press. Review - Philology.
- 1925: Gryphon. n.s.6, n°6. Contains Light as Leaf on Lindentree, p.217.
- 1925: Review of English Studies. London, 1, n°2. Contains Some Contributions to Middle-English Lexicography, pp.210-215.
- 1925: Review of English Studies, 1, n°3. Contains The Devil's Coach-Horses, pp.331-336.
- 1925: Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Oxford University Press.
- 1925: The Transactions of the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion Session 1923-24. Includes a translation.
- 1926: The Year's Work in English Studies 1924. Ed. Boas & Hereford. The English Association. Oxford University Press. Review - Philology.
- 1927: Realities: An Anthology of Verse. Ed. Gwendoline S.Tancred. Swan Press/Gay & Hancock Ltd. Contains The Nameless Land.
- 1927: Stapeldon Magazine, 7, n°40. Contains Adventures in Unnatural History and Medieval Metres, being the Freaks of Fisiogus, pp.123-127.
- 1927: The Year's Work in English Studies 1925. Ed. Boas & Herford. The English Association. Oxford University Press. Review - Philology.
- 1928: A New Glossary of the Dialect of the Huddersfield District. Walter E. Haigh. F.R. Hist.S. Oxford University Press. Contains a 'Foreword' by JRRT.
- 1932: The British Esperantist. Vol.28, May 1932. Includes A Philologist on Esperanto.
- 1932: The Life of Joseph Wright. Includes extracts from the letter Joseph Wright 19??.
- 1932: Medium Ævum. Oxford, 1, n°3. Contains essay on Old English Sigelwara Land (Part 1), pp.183-196.
- 1932: Report on Excavation of the Prehistoric, Roman and Post Roman Site in Lydney Park, Gloucestershire. Wheeler & Wheeler. Oxford University Press. Contains essay, Appendix I: The Name 'Nodens', pp.132-7.
- 1934: Chronicle, Convent of the Sacred Heart, Roehampton, 4. Contains the poem Firiel, pp.30-32.
- 1934: Medium Ævum. 3, n°2. Contains the poem Sigelwara Land (Part 2), pp.95-111.
- 1934: Oxford Magazine. 52, n°9. Contains the poem Looney, p.340.
- 1934: Oxford Magazine. 52, n°13. Contains the poem The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, pp.464-465.
- 1934: Transactions of the Philological Society. David Nutt. Stephen Austin and Sons. Contains Chaucer as a Philologist: The Reeve's Tale, pp.70.
- 1936: Liflade ant te Passiun of Seinte Iuliene. S.R.T.O. d'Ardenne. University of Liege.
- 1936: Songs for the Philologists.
- 1937: Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.
- 1937: The Hobbit. George Allen & Unwin.
- 1937: Oxford Magazine. 55, n°11. Contains the poem The Dragon's Visit, p.342.
- 1937: Oxford Magazine. 55, n°13. Contains the poem Knocking at the Door: Lines induced by sensations when waiting for an answer at the Door of an Exalted Academic Person, p.403.
- 1937: Oxford Magazine. 55 n°15. Contains the poem Iumonna Gold Galdre Bewunden, p.473.
- 1938: The Oxford Book of Greek Verse in Translation. Ed. T.F. Higham & C.M. Bowra. Oxford University Press.
- 1939: The Reeve's Tale - Version Prepared for Summer Diversions, Oxford.
- 1940: Beowulf and the Finnesburg Fragment. John R. Clark Hall & C.L.Wrenn. George Allen & Unwin. Contains Prefatory Remarks on Prose Translation of "beowulf", pp.viii-xli.
- 1940: Viga-Glums Saga. Ed. G. Turville-Petre. Oxford University Press / Oxford English Monographs.
- 1945: Catholic Herald. Contains 'The Name Coventry' - Letter to the editor.
- 1945: Dublin Review. London, January 1945. Contains the story Leaf by Niggle, pp.46-61.
- 1945: Welsh Review. Cardiff, 4, n°4. Contains The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun, pp.254-266.
- 1947: English Studies. Amsterdam, 28, n°6. In collaboration with S.R.T.O. d'Ardenne. Contains "ipplen" in Sawles Warde, pp. 168-170.
- 1947: Essays Presented to Charles Williams. Oxford University Press. Contains On Fairy-Stories, pp.38-39.
- 1952: torgils Saga ok Hafli ta. Ed. Ursula Brown. Oxford University Press / Oxford English Monographs.
- 1953: Essais de Philologie Moderne. University Of Liege. Contains Middle English "Losenger".
- 1953: Essays and Studies 1953. Ed. Geoffrey Bullough. The English Association. John Murray. Contains The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth, Beorhthelm's Son, pp.1-18.
- 1953: Pearl. Includes Form and Purpose.
- 1953: Radio Times. Contains A Fourteenth-Century Romance.
- 1954: Sir Orfeo. Ed. A.J. Bliss. Oxford University Press / Oxford English Monographs.
- 1954: The Fellowship of the Ring: Being the First Part of The Lord of the Rings
- 1954: The Two Towers: Being the Second Part of The Lord of the Rings
- 1955: The Ancrene Riwle. M.B. Salu. Burns & Oates. Contains a 'Preface'.
- 1955: The New York Times Book Review. Includes extracts from letter 165.
- 1955: The Return of the King: Being the Third Part of The Lord of the Rings
- 1955: Time and Tide. London, 3 December 1955. Contains the poem Imram, p.1561.
- 1958: The Old English Apollonius of Tyre. Ed. Peter Goolden. Oxford University Press / Oxford English Monographs. Contains 'Prefatory Note', p. iii.
- 1958: The Peterborough Chronicle 1070-1154. Ed. Cecily Clark. Oxford University Press / Oxford English Monographs.
- 1960: The Seafarer. London. Ed. Gordon. Methuen.
- 1960: Triode. Contains a letter to the editor - Comments to Arthur R. Weir, "No Monroe in Lothlorien!".
- 1961: A Short History of English Poetry. Includes Stanza 32 from the poem Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.
- 1961: Kvällsposten, 27 July 1961. Includes the 1961 Jan Broberg interview.
- 1966: Diplomat. New York, October 1966. Contains the article Tolkien on Tolkien, p.39.
- 1966: The Jerusalem Bible. Darton, Longman & Todd.
- 1966: The Tolkien Reader. Ballantine Books. Contains The homecoming of Beortnoth Beorthelm's Son, Tree and Leaf, Farmer Giles of Ham and The Adventures of Tombombadil.
- 1967: The Road Goes Ever On: A Song Cycle.
- 1967: Shenandoah: A Tribute to Wystan Hugh Auden on his Sixtieth Birthday. Contains the poem For W.H.A..
- 1967: Smith of Wootton Major.
- 1969: The Image of Man in C.S. Lewis. Includes Letter 298.
- 1969: Orcrist no.4, Tolkien Journal. Includes various extracts from letters.
- 1969: Smith of Wootton Major and Farmer Giles of Ham. Ballentine Books.
- 1969: The Young Magicians. Includes poems Once Upon a Time and The Dragon's Visit.
- 1972: Daily Telegraph. Contains Beautiful Place because Trees are Loved - Letter to the editor in response to an editorial.
- 1975: A Tolkien Compass. Includes Guide to the Names in The Lord of the Rings.
- 1975: Farmer Giles of Ham and The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.
- 1975: Les Aventures de Tom Bombadil.
- 1975: Mythlore 10. Contains a letter dated 17 November 1957 to Dr. Herbert Schiro.
- 1975: Tree and Leaf, Smith of Wootton Major and The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorthhelm's Son.
- 1975: Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl and Sir Orfeo.
- 1977: J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography. Includes excerpts of letters, poetry and prose.
- 1977: The Silmarillion.
- 1978: The Inklings. Includes excerpts from letters, diaries and manuscripts.
- 1978: The Tolkien Scrapbook. Includes the drawing The Lonely Mountain.
- 1979: J.R.R. Tolkien: Scholar and Storyteller. Contains Valedictory Address to the University of Oxford, 5 june 1959.
- 1979: Minas Tirith Evening-Star Vol.8, No.2. Contains An Interview with J.R.R.T..
- 1979: Pictures by J.R.R. Tolkien.
- 1980: Poems and Stories.
- 1980: Sotheby's Catalogue of Valuable Autograph Letters, Literary Manuscripts and Historical Documents 21-22 July 1980. Includes a letter to Miss How.
- 1980: Unfinished Tales.
- 1982: Finn and Hengest.
- 1982: Mr. Bliss.
- 1982: The Old English Exodus.
- 1982: The Return of Tolkien. Article illustrated by JRRT.
- 1982: The Road to Middle-earth. Includes several poems originally published in Songs for the Philologists.
- 1983: The History of Middle-earth vol. 1: The Book of Lost Tales, Part One.
- 1983: The Monsters and the Critics and Other Essays.
- 1983: Parma Eldalamberon 6. Includes notes made on a draft version of Thror's Map.
- 1983: Smith of Wootton Major and Leaf by Niggle. Unwin Paperbacks.
- 1984: Fantasists on Fantasy: A Collection of Critical Reflections by Eighteen Masters of the Art. Includes Fantasy and To W.H. Auden.
- 1984: The History of Middle-earth vol. 2: The Book of Lost Tales, Part Two.
- 1984: The Manuscripts of J.R.R.T.. Reproduces four extracts from The Lord of the Rings manuscripts.
- 1984: Oliphaunt (as a flat sheet; see also Oliphaunt (book), 1989).
- 1984: Sotheby's English Literature and English History 6-7 December 1984. Includes Kinship of the Half-elven, an extract from Concerning ... The Hoard, together with several extracts from letters to Eileen Elgar.
- 1985: I fantasins världar. Includes the 1961 Jan Broberg interview.
- 1985: J.R.R. Tolkien's Letters to Rhona Beare.
- 1985: The History of Middle-earth vol. 3: The Lays of Beleriand.
- 1986: Beyond Bree July 1986. Includes two pages from an annotated copy of The Hobbit.
- 1986: The History of Middle-earth vol. 4: The Shaping of Middle-earth.
- 1987: La Brita Esperantisto, July 1987. Includes A Philologist on Esperanto.
- 1987: Drawings for 'The Hobbit' by J.R.R. Tolkien. Exhibition catalogue. Bodleian Library.
- 1987: The History of Middle-earth vol. 5: The Lost Road and Other Writings.
- 1987: The Hobbit: Drawings, Watercolors, and Manuscripts, June 11 - September 30, 1987
- 1987: Selections from the Marquette J.R.R. Tolkien Collection
- 1987: The Tale of Gondolin.
- 1987: Tolkien and the Spirit of the Age: Papers as Presented at the First Lustrum Celebration of the Dutch Tolkien Society Unquendor. Includes Progress in Bimble Town.
- 1988: Arda 1984. Contains The Clerke's Compleinte.
- 1988: The History of Middle-earth vol. 6: The Return of the Shadow.
- 1988: Mythlore 56. Includes Narqelion.
- 1989: Beyond Bree, March 1989. Includes The Plotz Declension.
- 1989: Oliphaunt (as a children's book; see also Oliphaunt (sheet), 1984).
- 1989: The History of Middle-earth vol. 7: The Treason of Isengard.
- 1989: Mythlore 60. Includes Narqelion.
- 1989: Vinyar Tengwar 6. Includes The Plotz Declension, Narqelion, and a letter to Jane Sibley.
- 1990: Arda 1986. Includes the manuscript to The Clerke's Compleinte.
- 1990: The History of Middle-earth vol. 8: The War of the Ring.
- 1991: Leaves from the Tree: J.R.R. Tolkien's Shorter Fiction. The Proceedings of the 4th Tolkien Society Workshop. Includes an extract from the unpublished Lecture on Dragons.
- 1992: Basic Quenya. Includes The Plotz Declension.
- 1992: The History of Middle-earth vol. 9: Sauron Defeated.
- 1992: Tolkien: Life and Legend. Exhibition catalogue. Bodleian Library.
- 1993: Esperanto USA. Vol.29, No.4. Includes Why I Support Esperanto (same as A Philologist on Esperanto).
- 1993: The History of Middle-earth vol. 10: Morgoth's Ring.
- 1994: Tyalië Tyelelliéva 1. Includes Lord of the Rings Heru i Million.
- 1994: Vinyar Tengwar 36. Includes The Entu, Ensi, Enta Declension.
- 1994: The History of Middle-earth vol. 11: The War of the Jewels.
- 1995: J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator. Contains ca. 100 previously unpublished pictures. Among writings not appearing elsewhere might be mentioned a quote on p. 53 from an essay on dragons (see Lecture on Dragons) and quotations from unpublished notes on Elvish heraldry.
- 1995: La kunularo de l' ringo. Includes A Philologist on Esperanto.
- 1995: Parma Eldalamberon issue 11. Includes I-Lam na-Ngoldathon: The Grammar and Lexicon of the Gnomish Tongue.
- 1995: Vinyar Tengwar 37. Includes The Túrin Prose Fragments.
- 1997: A Question of Time: J.R.R. Tolkien's Road to Faërie. Includes quotes from the unpublished Elvish time and Essay concerning Smith of Wootton Major.
- 1997: Tales from the Perilous Realm.
- 1998: Parma Eldalamberon issue 12. Includes Qenyaqetsa: The Qenya Phonology and Lexicon.
- 1998: Roverandom.
- 1998: Vinyar Tengwar 39. Includes From Quendi and Eldar, Appendix D and Ósanwe-kenta.
- 2000: The End of the Third Age.
- 2000: SEVEN: An Anglo-American Literary Review, Vol.17. Includes A Philologist on Esperanto and extracts from the Book of Foxrook and some other writings.
- 2000: Vinyar Tengwar 41. Includes Etymological Notes on the Ósanwe-kenta, From The Shibboleth of Fëanor, and Notes on Óre.
- 2001: Interzone December issue, #174. Includes a transcription of a letter to Gene Wolfe from November 7th, 1966.
- 2001: Parma Eldalamberon issue 13. Includes The Alphabet of Rúmil & Early Noldorin Fragments.
- 2001: Sotheby's Valuable Printed Books and Manuscripts 13 December 2001. Includes several letters.
- 2001: Tyalië Tyelelliéva 18. Includes the prayers Átaremma and Aia María.
- 2001: Vinyar Tengwar 42. Includes The Rivers and Beacon-hills of Gondor.
- 2002: The Annotated Hobbit: Revised and Expanded Edition. Includes several hard-to-find poems and Elvish Song in Rivendell, The Quest of Erebor, and Glip.
- 2002: Beowulf and the Critics.
- 2002: Christie's Fine Printed Books and Manuscripts 24 May 2002. Includes Index questions and three letters.
- 2002: Sotheby's Literature and Illustration 11-12 July 2002. Includes several letters.
- 2002: Vinyar Tengwar 43. Includes Words of Joy: Five Catholic Prayers - Part One.
- 2002: Vinyar Tengwar 44. Includes Words of Joy: Five Catholic Prayers - Part Two, Ae Adar Nín, and Alcar mi Tarmenel na Erun.
- 2003: La Feuille de la Compagnie, no.2. Includes a letter to Milton Waldman (1951).
- 2003: Parma Eldalamberon, issue 14. Contains Early Qenya and The Valmaric Script.
- 2003: Sotheby's English Literature, History, Fine Bindings, Private Press Books, Children's Books, Illustrated Books and Drawings 10 July 2003. Includes a letter to L.M. Cutts.
- 2003: Tolkien and the Great War. Includes numerous quotes from unpublished correspondence, diaries, poetry and notebooks.
- 2003: Vinyar Tengwar 45. Includes Addenda and Corrigenda to the Etymologies - Part One.
- 2004: The Invented Worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien. Contains several manuscripts.
- 2004: Parma Eldalamberon issue 15. Contains Sí Qente Feanor and Other Elvish Writings.
- 2004: Vinyar Tengwar 46. Contains Addenda and Corrigenda to the Etymologies - Part Two.
- 2005: The Keys of Middle-earth. Includes previously unpublished extracts from Tolkien's academic writings held at the Bodleian Library.
- 2005: Leski Auctions: Sport & General Memorabilia, 10th February 2005. Includes letter Mr(s?) Souch 8 September 1955.
- 2005: The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion. Includes The Nomenclature of The Lord of the Rings, a 1951 letter to Milton Waldman, and a reproduction of a manuscript page showing a synoptic time scheme used by JRRT while writing The Lord of the Rings.
- 2005: The Ruins of Osgiliath.
- 2005: Vinyar Tengwar 47. Contains Eldarin Hands, Fingers & Numerals and Related Writings — Part One.
- 2005: Vinyar Tengwar 48. Contains Eldarin Hands, Fingers & Numerals and Related Writings — Part Two.
- 2006: Bloomsbury Auctions: Manuscripts & Autograph Letters, Continental & English Literature and History, and Modern First Editions, 15th June 2006. Includes Michael Blashka late 1960s (letter).
- 2006: The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide. Includes numerous extracts from diaries, papers in various archives and libraries, and from other unpublished or hard to find sources.
- 2006: Parma Eldalamberon issue 16. Contains Early Elvish Poetry and Pre-Fëanorian Alphabets.
- 2006: Sotheby's Fine Books and Manuscripts December 11 2006. Includes a letter to Naomi Mitchison (letter 122).
- 2006: The Ring of Words. Includes a letter to Kenneth Sisam, dated 16 March 1933.
- 2007: The Children of Húrin.
- 2007: Christie's The Albin Schram Collection of Autograph Letters. Includes excerpts from Pauline Baynes 4 June 1949 (letter).
- 2007: The History of The Hobbit.
- 2007: La kunularo de l' ringo. Includes A Philologist on Esperanto.
- 2007: Parma Eldalamberon issue 17. Contains Words, Phrases and Passages in Various Tongues in The Lord of the Rings.
- 2007: Sotheby's English Literature, History, Private Press, Children's Books and Illustrations 13 December 2007. Includes a letter to Derrick Parnum.
- 2007: Tolkien Studies: Volume 4. Includes The Name 'Nodens' and extracts from unpublished drafts of The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth.
- 2007: Vinyar Tengwar 49. Contains Eldarin Hands, Fingers & Numerals and Related Writings — Part Three.
- 2008: Lembas Extra: Proceedings of the 5th Unquendor Lustrum. Includes several unpublished letters.
- 2008: On Fairy-stories (expanded edition).
- 2009: Black & White Ogre Country: The Lost Tales of Hilary Tolkien. Includes unpublished photographs and the letter Hilary Tolkien 1971.
- 2009: Christie's Fine Printed Books and Manuscripts 1 June 2009. Includes several letters.
- 2009: The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún.
- 2009: Parma Eldalamberon, issue 18. Contains Tengwesta Qenderinwa and Pre-Fëanorian Alphabets Part 2.
- 2009: Sotheby's English Literature, History, Children's Books and Illustrations 17 December 2009. Includes drawing Lamb's Farm, Gedling.
- 2009: Tolkien Studies: Volume 6. Includes Fate and Free Will.
- 2010: Sotheby's The James S. Copley Library 17 June 2010. Includes excerpts from a letter to Evelyn B. Byrne.
- 2010: Tolkien Studies: Volume 7. Will include 'The Story of Kullervo' and Essays on Kalevala.
- 2010: Wheelbarrows at Dawn: Memories of Hilary Tolkien. Will include photographs, letters and the drawing Lamb's Farm, Gedling.
- 201?: La Feuille de la Compagnie, vol.3. Will include Fragments on Elvish Reincarnation.
- ↑ Main works consulted for the compilation of this list has been (1) the bibliography of The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide, (2) the bibliography of the Tolkien Library, (3) An Illustrated Tolkien Bibliography, (4) A Chronological Bibliography of the Writings of J.R.R. Tolkien.