|Producer||Anna Home, Angela Beeching|
|Released||October 1-12 1979|
Jackanory is a children's television program on the BBC, in which stories are read to children. Over the years, many actors provided the part of narrator, including Brian Blessed, David Buck, Judi Dench, Marian Diamond, Michael Hordern, Martin Jarvis, Ian McKellen and Prunella Scales.
The 3,000th programme begins a special presentation in ten parts, with four storytellers, of The Hobbit. In the search for dragon-guarded gold, Bilbo Baggins and 13 dwarves encounter trolls, goblins, elves and giant spiders - and many other adventures. Narrator - Jan Francis, Bilbo Baggins - Bernard Cribbins, Gandalf - Maurice Denham, Thorin (many other parts) - David Wood
The ten episodes were aired on BBC1, on weekdays from 4:25 to 4:40 PM
- October 1: An Unexpected Party
- October 2: Over Hill and Under Hill
- October 3: Riddles in the Dark
- October 4: Out of the Frying-Pan into the Fire
- October 5: Flies and Spiders
- October 8: Barrels Out of Bond
- October 9: Inside Information
- October 10: Fire and Water
- October 11: The Clouds Burst
- October 12: The Last Stage
Due to a copyright battle with the Tolkien Estate, this adaptation was never released on VHS.