James D. Allan (Jim Allan; b. 1945) published books and articles on Tolkien in the 1970s, primarily on linguistics. His An Introduction to Elvish was the first book-length publication on Tolkien's invented languages. His surname is sometimes wrongly printed as Allen with an e.
In the late 70s Jim was moderator of the Toronto branch of the Mythopoeic Society which in the early 80s became the Fantasy, Folklore, and Mythology Discussion Group, not particularly connected with Tolkien.
Jim was editor of Mythprint (with Elliott Grassett, Karen Pearlston, and Dorothy Tate) in part of 1975/1976 and the same group served as data production editors on Mythlore 12, Mythlore 13, Mythlore 14, and Mythlore 15 (June, 1976 to March, 1977).
In 1979 Jim was one of the two guests of honour at Mythcon 10.
Since the late 90s Jim has been active on many web forums, usually using the logins Jallan, jallan, Jallanite, or jallanite.
He is currently (2012) an active member of the Wellinghall (Toronto) Smial of The Tolkien Society.
The following listing only includes his writings on J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis.
- 1972: Parma Eldalamberon 2
- "A Source for Tolkien's Tengwar?"
- 1973: Mythlore 9
- "Genesis of The Lord of the Rings: A Study of Saga Development"
- 1973: Parma Eldalamberon 3
- "Review of A Guide to Middle-earth"
- "The Queer Brandybuck Names"
- 1973: Mallorn 7
- 1974: Mallorn 8
- 1974: Parma Eldalamberon 4
- "The Naming of Tor and Tinidril"
- 1975: Mythlore 10
- "Tolkien and Recovery." Reprinted in Amon Hen 16.
- "More Tolkien Exploitation." Review of The Lord of the Rings Hobbit Notes by William Ready.
- 1976: Minas Tirith Evening-Star, Vol. 5, No. 3
- "The Hobbit Writing on the Wall." Badly printed specimen page reprinted in following issue.
- 1976: Bakka Magazine #4
- "The Coming of Middle-earth"
- 1976: Minas Tirith Evening-Star, Vol. 5, No. 4
- "Tolkien in Britain and Canada"
- 1977: Parma Eldalamberon 5
- "Corrections to the Tengwar and Certar Values Assigned in Current Editions of The Lord of the Rings"
Tolkien Fanzines[note 1]
- 1972: A Glossary of the Eldarin Tongues
- 1975: An Extrapolation on The Silmarillion
- 1977: A Speculation on The Silmarillion
- ↑ Fanzines privately circulated to less than twenty persons.