Laurelin was created by the Vala Yavanna and Nienna on the hill of Ezellohar. From that hill Laurelin and Telperion shed their light on the realm of the Valar in the long years before the making of the Sun and Moon.
The Golden Tree was destroyed by Melkor who used the giant spider spirit Ungoliant to his evil purpose during the theft of the Silmarils, which caused the Darkening of Valinor. The creation and destruction of Laurelin and Telperion marked the beginning and ending of the Years of the Trees, before the First Age of Middle-earth.
According to legend, in the end of times there will be a "Final Battle" (the Dagor Dagorath), in which Morgoth is utterly defeated and evil is banished, and the light of the Silmarils will be used to create the Two Trees once more.
Portrayal in Adaptations
2007: The Lord of the Rings Online:
- Laurelin is an English, European server, unlike the other English servers in Europe it focused on Role-Playing. It was originally hosted by Codemasters, but was latter taken over by Turbine.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Index of Names"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Lost Road and Other Writings, "Part Three: The Etymologies", pp. 358, 368
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Appendix: Elements in Quenya and Sindarin Names"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The War of the Jewels, "Part Four. Quendi and Eldar: Appendix D. *Kwen, Quenya, and the Elvish (especially Ñoldorin) words for 'Language': Note on the 'Language of the Valar'", p. 401
- ↑ "Turbine's LOTRO Service Goes Global" dated 24 April 2011, A Casual Stroll to Mordor (accessed 2 January 2012)