This article needs to be rewritten to comply with Tolkien Gateway's higher standards...
Published works by Tolkien on his legendarium
Writings of the legendarium
- The Hobbit (see also The History of The Hobbit and The Annotated Hobbit)
- The Lord of the Rings (see also The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion)
- The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
- The Road Goes Ever On
- Bilbo's Last Song
- The Silmarillion
- The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien (many of the letters discusses issues of the legendarium)
- The Monsters and the Critics and Other Essays (see here)
- Unfinished Tales
- The History of Middle-earth
- J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator (includes fragments of unpublished writings)
Pictures of the legendarium
- Pictures by J.R.R. Tolkien
- J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator
- Roverandom (includes a piece of Valmaric script)
Legendarium: the concept
The term 'legendarium' can be found in several places in The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien:
Letter 131: "This legendarium ends with a vision of the end of the world..."
Letter 154: "Actually in the imagination of this story we are now living on a physically round Earth. But the whole 'legendarium' contains a transition from a flat world..."